Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Facebook advice

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:07 AM
  • 52 Replies

My cousin's 17 year old daughter posted on FB yesterday "Tickling: just like rape except you're forced to laugh!" 

I was dumbfounded. As a rape victim, I felt that this was horribly callous and disrespectful and couldn't believe that anyone would have such a casual attitude toward such a horrific crime, especially a female. Rather than post my feelings on her wall for all to see, I sent her a message:" You know that I love you and wouldn't want to offend you for the world but I find that VERY offensive. It's a slap in the face to anyone who has ever been raped because I can assure you that there is NO comparison and we'd all rather be tickled any day."

Within a few minutes, she deleted the post and I told her thank you. This morning, she posted: "Honestly, if you don't like what I post on MY facebook, then DELETE me! Simple as that. K? K:)

I'm mad as hell and I think this was not cool at all. If MY daughter posted something like this (and she has and I took her fb and all computer privileges from her for 8 months!), I'd be furious! For one of my kids to be so disrespectful, to innocent victims of a violent crime AND to a family member would be a huge deal to me. Her parents see no problem.

What do you guys think?

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
offrdngal
by Terri on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I would delete her.  

jonnlilithsmom
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:18 AM

talk to her mother, and delete the brat

dipsetgrl06
by Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:18 AM
2 moms liked this
I'd just delete her. Its her Facebook and she should be allowed to post what she wants. I'm also a rape victim but that status doesn't offend me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
madhousequeen
by New Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Quoting dipsetgrl06:

I'd just delete her. Its her Facebook and she should be allowed to post what she wants. I'm also a rape victim but that status doesn't offend me.

Yes, it is HER fb, but there are levels of common decency that MUST be maintained regardless of who has ownership of a page.  

It's like posting "kissing is like murder except ya gotta laugh". WTF does one have to do with the other? Absolutely nothing and it would be very disrespectful to compare the loss of life to something pleasurable, right? They are on different ends of the spectrum of life and do not compare in any way, shape, form or fashion. 

There are just certain lines that should never be crossed and one of those is to make light of or belittle something so traumatic in such a cavalier way!

MomofBoys838
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM

It sounds like she needed an education on where lines get crossed, and you did just that.  Most kids these days have no sense of what should and should not be talked about in public.

Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Delete her and move on. 

paulajean65
by Paula on Jul. 9, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Delete and block!!

pamelax3
by Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I would delete and block her.. Very insensitive status...

sjump25
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:21 PM
I would delete her. I see your point 100%, but if her AND her parents don't see a problem you are just wasting your breath trying to make it right. I'm sorry that happened. She sounds like an insensitive brat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamasheart2012
by Donna on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:37 PM
As a rape victim myself that is offensive to me. It is NOT the same thing and should NOT be compared as such. I would definetly deleate and block her. If she and parents dont see anything wrong then they need help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)