Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Question about a dog bite.

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:42 PM
  • 19 Replies
I have a question for anyone that has been bitten by a dog or treated someone with a dog bite.
I work in the veterinary field and while I was working I had the misfortune of being bit on my bicep. Basically my whole upper ask ended up in the mouth of a Saint Bernard. I was taken to the ER in my small town, which has a horrible reputation. They put 4 stitches in one of the puncture wounds and used suture tape for the others. This was not a gentle bite. That dog bit down hard and I felt like it bit once didn't remove its teeth and bit down again. My arm was severely swollen and bruised even before I left for the ER.
It has now been 6 days since I was treated. My arm is swollen so badly that my skin feels like it is stretching too tight. It hurts to straighten it, it feels like there is something pulling and it's not the stitches. The suture tapes already fell off due to bleeding on the second day, but those wounds seem like they are healing. My arm is not warm to the touch and I have been on antibiotics since it happened.
I want to know if anyone thinks this is normal or not. I was bit before, not this badly and it was nothing like this. The swelling is really concerning me as well as the pain. I have been taking pain meds to ease the throbbing. My boss says it is just tissue damage and will heal.y husband is out of town and wants me to go to the hospital that is 40 miles away.
Am I over-reacting in thinking there might be something really wrong?
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dsneyprincess74
by New Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:54 PM
I should actually clarify something so I don't get called out later. I was not working for a wage. I go in occasionally to keep up on my skills. I had to leave Veterinary school 2 years ago due to kidney failure. I am on disability and I am praying I will be able to finish my education when I am healthy.
As you might guess this complicates things. I know I shouldn't be there but I can't help it. I go only when I am having a really good day, which is maybe once a month, and only for an hour or two at surgery time.
I know the judgement police will have something to say about me collecting disability but believe me I gave up a lifetime of work and a promising career and it about killed me. Judge me if you must, but you have never walked in my shoes.
mitchiesgirl
by Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:19 PM
I work in the veterinary field also but thankfully have never been bitten (knock on wood)... Whats your position? Anyways... Definitely get it checked again... Sounds like an infection or cellulitis or something to the affect.... Good luck!

Edit: I just read your addition... Got it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dsneyprincess74
by New Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Yeah I don't have very good luck in general and of course I was helping to restrain the dog and took the bite for the vet. I keep thinking of what it could be with an animal and I know if it was a pet I would tell the owner to bring it in. Its harder to be as level headed when it is your own injury you are talking about. I'm just sick of hospitals and doctors. Blah!
the4mutts
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I've been bit pretty badly... my advice: go to a different hospital/dr for a 2nd opinion. Sometimes that is normal, and it does sound normal to me, but if its infected you don't want to risk it getting worse.
Forget the money, or the hassle. Your health is most important!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinky_csb
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 7:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Continue to keep the wound clean.Bedadine is a good cleaner for animal bites (a groomer I worked for demanded we use it to clean wounds when bitten).Put a bit of Bedidine on the affected area and rinse thoroughly with warm water.You may want to do this twice a day.Definitely once a day for a few days to kill infection.I would suggest taking the hubby's advice and getting it looked at,there might be an infection.

TheTwinsMomy
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I think you should go and be re-evaluated.  Someone different needs to see it with fresh eyes.  After 6 days the antibiotic should be in effect.  It might be that you aren't covered with the correct antibiotic.  Might be as simple as that.  As for the swelling you quite possible could have deep tissue bruising that you can't see on the surface.  Def. go and be re-evaluated!

"If you are going to be part of my world, you need to suspend all judgement." ~~ Howard Stern

ProudMommy51006
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:21 AM
2 moms liked this
You probably have an infection and aren't on the right antibiotic... My dd had a spider bite and had to be put on 2 different IV steroids to clear the infection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dsneyprincess74
by New Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:45 AM
Thanks ladies. I'm going to go have it re-evaluated at the bigger hospital. I just need to trust my gut more. I think that because I have been so sick for so long I tend to think something minor like a bite is not worth another trip to the ER. Better safe than sorry though.
lilmama31709
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Typically dog bites should not be stitched
Because of infection. Go to another er and have it looked at.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRobinson06
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Sounds like the antibiotics aren't strong enough since it's been a week and is still swollen. I used to be a vet assistant and had been bitten in the face by a dog once and bitten hard by a cat which required small surgery and antibiotics. I would go back for a second opinion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN