Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Nervous about going back to school.

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:59 PM
  • 18 Replies

Hello ladies!  I'm new to Cafemom and I'm in need of either some advice or encouragement. I'm married and I have two kids. I'm currently taking a nurse's  aide class but am seriously considering going back to school for nursing. I'm positive this is the field I want to be in.  I love helping people. I'm very nervous because I haven't been in school since I graduated high school 13 yrs ago and I've heard nurses have crazy schedules.  Is this true?  I'm also afraid I'm not going to see my kids often. For any nurses out there, is this a career you would suggest for a mom? What is your advice? As you've probably noticed already I tend to over-anylize things. I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice not only for me but for my family as well.

Thank you

by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kikitice
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 2:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I know a few nurses and while the schedules can be different, they seem to be able to spend time with their families. You are just nervous like you said but going to nursing school will definitely be a good career move for you and your family. Good luck!

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jul. 13, 2012 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I am doing the same thing.  I just started school for nursing.  I knew in my heart that it was something I needed to do.

marymo2011
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm fixing to graduate nursing school in the fall. I will be an RN. It has been the hardest thing I've EVER done. It takes everything/ moment you have while your in. Once I graduate it will be much better. I have a great opportunity to work in a hospital where I work 3-12 hour shifts and be there for my dd age 6. the other 4 days a week all while making 45k a year. It will be hard, but will be SO worth it. Good luck. The world needs great nurses;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Naira4
by New Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Thanks ladies, I really appreciate your comments :)

TheTwinsMomy
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I went back to nursing school @ 30 years old!  What a great decision it was!  I am currently enrolled to return to school @ 37 to obtain my RN!  I completely understand your anxiety about returning to school, but I assure you, it will all be worth it.  

You just need to put yourself first for a year or however long you are going back to school.  I would suggest that you find a program for LPN and then find a program specifically for LPN-RN.  It is the most time saving and you really get classes you need!

I am super anxious to return!  I have been on Dr's nurse for 7 years now.  I dearly love him and it's difficult to step out of my comfort zone.

As for your schedule, you choose your career!  There are so many different fields of nursing!  You can do it!  Education is invaluable!

"If you are going to be part of my world, you need to suspend all judgement." ~~ Howard Stern

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Sounds like you have gotten some great feedback! Good luck - you can do this!!!
pamelax3
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Good luck and congrats on making a great decision

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM

You will do great don't let your fears hold you back!

chappersgrl
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

if uhave the support behind u then go for it. schooling will be a bit hectic, but the outcome is completely worth the time. many of my friends work three days a week sometimes four. i am in nursing school and i totally believe that anyone who wants it and loves the work and the people should go for it. the world needs great nurses who are committed to their jobs. your family will benefit in the end. i think you should get some experience in the health field as well as take as many of your pre/co-requesites as you can before applying.

i went in to my interview with  other women. the one sitting next to me had applied to the program six times and was denied. i dont know wha her situation was besides that fact, but as for me, i had all my pre-requesites done, with only 2 B's out of all of them. i scored almost perfect on my compass english and reading, and got a score of 92 on the NLN test. i applied to this prgram one time.

good luck with your studies, as long as you have support and determination you can do this. nursing school is hard, bu do-able.

bellawomen
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I don't feel nursing schedules are any more demanding than other jobs.  Nursing is such an amazing field to go into.  You can do home health and create you own hours, health education and work a 9-5, or work on a floor 3 days a week in 12 hour shifts.

I am in nursing school right now, so I will tell you right now...it is very demanding.  You have to be willing to put in the time to study and yes there is a lot of studying and reading.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.  I think for me the hardest part is not having enough time with my family right now because I feel I am ALWAYS studying.  I have to get really creative on my days off to keep my son busy, spend time with him, and still study.  We spend a lot of time at the park, indoor play places, etc so that he gets to run around, play, and have social interaction and I also get time to study.  I take time to pack a picnic and we have lunch together, we bake something together, something.  Its really important to have your husband on board and understanding that he will have to take over some of your duties to support you through this time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)