Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Knee Surgery.... what would you do? (sorry long)

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM
  • 23 Replies

Hi all :)   I hope you all are having a wonderful day!!! 

I hurt my right knee while I was running  back in January. It wasn't getting any better by March so my husband told me to go to the doctor because i wouldn't go. lol   I went to the Quick care doctor and they put a brace on my knee. They said they thought it was a meniscus tear and if it wasn't better in 2 weeks, go to my family doctor.  I went to my family doctor ....over a few weeks  he gave me a cortisone shot, MRI and PT.   PT also said a meniscus tear but family doctor  said he didn't think so. He sent me to a orthopedic dr.

Ortho Dr.   said   it is questionable  if it is meniscus tear  so he said I could do one of the following ......

A......live with it

B....PT   for 6 weeks   if doesn't  work  surgery   and 6 weeks PT

c......Surgery   and 6 weeks PT   

I have a very high level for pain so I could live with it but I am 37  do I really want too?  NO

Option B didn't seem to work because I still workout and that isn't working plus my first PT  wouldn't work with this kind of injury.

Option C....who wants surgery!!!  LOL 

What are  your thoughts?

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
In your case, I would go with C.
Marz31
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, there are many different types of PT, so I'd give that a chance to work before surgery. I would imagine it'll only get worse if you just ignore it. If nothing else, if you're going to a gym for workouts, pay for a session or two with a trainer to make sure you're not doing exercise that might make it worse faster. it may not hurt as bad now, but the future is wide open.

supermomwife09
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

When I was in high school and played soccer I tore my ACL and MCL they had me going to PT and wearing a brace while I played and practiced with the team....It continuously got worse and eventually I had to have surgery I messed my knee up sooo bad that I had to have 2 surgeries cuz I kept playing and ignoring the problem....So from experience I would just go ahead and have the surgery give it time to heal properly and you'll be fine

Crissy2424
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I would first try the exact PT they is needed. If that isn't making it any better you are going to prob need surgery. I myself just had surgery. It wasn't fun, but I know, in the end the pain I was having wont be back.

mommyallison
by New Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

hi! i am a mother of boys- 6&3. I had 2 knee surgeries since 11/2011, including a total knee replacement 4/24/12. I am also a nurse. Personally, i would get another opinion from the best ortho surgeon you can find, or a runner upif you got the best last time. Physical therapy didn't want the liability, because there is a suspected "tear" and i believe (they thought) they may make it worse with manipulation.

If the pain starts interfering with your sleep, your activities with your family, your mood, etc.. your body will tell you when it's time to have surgery. I know it's difficult to fit in your schedule. Queen of procrastination here put off  my knee surgery for 9 years. Don't be me. Ok? :)

Binkxo
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

This surgery is a peice of cake. I vote C you will be up and read sooner than if you do PT first.

suziSunshine678
by Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

i would go with what the orthopod said - try the correct kind of pt first and see if that does the trick - if not, have the surgery -

i was in different circumstances when i had my right knee replacement in 2002 - i had my right knee replaced because of arthritis - you could see by the MRI that i was bone on bone - i could not bend down or get up from the floor, etc. - i did the 6 weeks pre-exerecises that the orthopod asked me  to do before the surgery (no one else in my class had done them - there were 9 of us who had the same surgery that day - and they called us a "class" - i was 58 at the time) - the youngest one in the class - most were 65 or older - and did not do their pre-surgery exercises - doing the pre-surgery exercises meant all the difference when it came to recovery - my surgery was done at 9 am and i was up and on my feet - no walker, crutches, or cane by 5 pm that  same day -

never had to use anything to help me walk - they called me the miracle child ibutterfly used to help push the others in my class down to pt in their wheel chairs - they did NOT do the exercises before their surgeries - when we all went for our 1-year check-ups, some of the people were still in wheel chairs -

it was amazing -

the surgery is quick and if you do your exercises 6 weeks before surgery and then your pt for however long your surgeon suggests after your surgery, you'll be up and about before you know it -

good luck - the surgery is a snap - IF you follow your surgeon's instructions!!!

shagany
by Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Get the surgery.  It may seem like a real pain to do, but in the long run it will be better.   Your knee will last longer, you will be able to run for much longer.  All in all it will be better, go ahead do it!!!!!!!

TheMommyTaxi
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I just had that same arthroscopic  procedure in June.  Best decision I have ever made.  My knees are both worn down from a lifetime of cartilage issues.  My meniscus (probably both) was torn.  Every time I went up stairs, it sounded like there were rice crispies under my knees, crunching.  I finally decided I was in too much pain, as my knee would lock up.  It made the stairs an issue.  I went to a wonderful orthopod,  he did cortisone first.  Both shots wore off within a month.  Time for surgery!  It was a 45 minute procedure on a Friday afternoon.  I went home first day, slept.  By Saturday I was up and around.  By Monday, my quad had released and the pain load was nil.  The following Friday, I had stitches out and my first PT.  I will be discharged from PT next Wednesday, 12 sessions later.  My muscle is strong, I am walking with a cane only when I will be standing along time and I am thrilled with how it feels and how quickly I healed. 

It is best to listen to your doctor.  Funny thing is, mine gave me nearly the same choices.  I had 1) live with it, 2) cortisone and live with it or 3) cortisone and surgery.  Number three for the win.  It was such a good experience that I plan to have my other knee fixed in December as well.

sevengirls77
by Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Thank you all for the advice :)   Also thank you for the stories!! It is nice to know your not alone. 

I am scared that they won't be able to repair it and they will say it is just deterioration and no fix. I am scared of being put to sleep.

I was raised that you always had to be strong and going to the doctor and getting help are signs of weakness. That is another problem because I won't be able to do much for the first 24 hours and I hate others taking care of me!! My husband and 7 daughters are all for helping but I feel bad....weak!

Thank you for listening!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)