Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Sibling Rivalry: How much is too much? Please share your stories!

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 4:20 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hi everyone! New Member here. :)

I am a mom of a recently turned 6 & 3 year old boys. My husband has always wrestled with them and unfortunately without me knowing the boys have been watching episodes of Power Rangers on my recently acquired Kindle. UGH! Right?!   BEFORE you get upset......(I downloaded books and Episodes of Mickey Mouse etc and now the 6 yr old knows how to get  into Kids Netflix...so we recently turned off the wireless connection to it--> see, i really am trying to be a good mom) LOL

The kicking, tripping, hitting, has gotten out of hand.

Please share your stories to gauge how bad this violence/whining really is? It's to the point that time out doesn't work(sitting)/time out on their knees & even the last route of spankings on the bottom don't work, They think it's funny and go right back into it!!?!

Any help/suggestions/stories would help immensely.

Many thanks!

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jul. 18, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I have to separate my kids in separate rooms.  Mine fight constantly

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Welcome to The Lounge!

I'm with Joanna...when my kids fight I just separate them.

momtowildthings
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:55 PM

My kids are not at that physical stage yet (hitting, kicking, pushing, etc) Occasionally DD (3 1/2) will push DS (1) over. The first time we catch her she gets a warning, the second time she gets a time out. Sorry, I'm probably not much help since my kids are younger.

mystepmomlife
by New Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Our kids are older now (13 & 15) but they still fight constantly.  Now it is more verbal though.  We have always just separated them.  Put them in their separate rooms and let them sit there for awhile.  What we have found now that works really well that they are older is we make them compliment each other for every mean thing that they say.  One compliment per insult.  If that doesn't work then they both get assigned extra chores for the night.  When they were younger though we would separate them every time it started.  Good luck to you!

www.mystepmomlife.com

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:46 PM

My boys are 7 and 4.  WHile sometimes they get rough - the secret is they enjoy it.  When we have had enough, we seperate them - and since they can't STAND that more than anything - it usually curbs it and things drop down to a way calmer level when they re-unite.

I do have to say that I think trying to curb violence through violence is going the opposite direction you are going for (re:spanking).

mommyallison
by New Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I agree Kris_PBG.

Everyone- I had never thought about actually placing them out of bounds...sight and otherwise. No one to torture, i bet they will break down! :)

delmobaby
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Mine have their mOments with arguing and fighting hittin and kIcking eachother. Whatever they do weather its hit or call a nane they have to apologize abd hug whoever it was they hit or called a name. They dont like hugging eachother when they are aggrivated or whatever nade them do it and then they go to time out in separate places where they cant even see eachother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN