Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preschool and a 2 year old

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:30 AM
  • 30 Replies

My little boy, Gavin, just turned 2. I have really been debating on rather or not to sign him up for preschool. There is many pros and cons, and I'm trying to decide what will benefit him in the long run. Some of the pros are social skills, interacting with children his age, and getting a head start at school. Of course cons include separating myself from him, worrying constantly, and I'm not sure how he will handle being away from me. I'm sure a lot of other mother's have had the same concerns. How could I know when it is a good time to start this next adventure for my wild and fun-loving toddler? My husband agrees it will be good for him, but I'm having a hard time letting go. Seems like he shouldn't be old enough to even start yet lol. I just want what's best for him. Any advice?

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:02 AM

I am in favor of preschool.  My 3 year old goes 4 hours a day, 4 days a week.  It's great for his social skills and he is learning so much! 

jesswalls
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:05 AM

I think what gets me the most is letting go. He was my first child, and after having him the last thing on my mind was him starting school in a couple of years. I would love to have more information about preschool and how it all works.

Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I can't answer that for you, but you can visit a few in the area to see which one is right for you.  The place where Jackson goes has an internet camera set up with a live feed so we can watch what is going on at anytime.  It really helps to ease your mind. 

Quoting jesswalls:

I think what gets me the most is letting go. He was my first child, and after having him the last thing on my mind was him starting school in a couple of years. I would love to have more information about preschool and how it all works.

CreziaMommyTo2
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:28 AM
Both my kids started at 2. Best thing for them. But again, keeping them home was not an option because all their friends started school at 2 as well, and if I didn't send them to school, both would have been bored being home while their friends were at school.
jesswalls
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I have a big family, and me and two of my sister-n-laws have had 5 babies within two years. So having friends outside of preschool isnt a issue since none of them have started yet. I really want to do this to give him a head start and I think its important for him to interact and get away from me lol.

sjump25
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:43 AM
I think preschool is great, but I'm going wait until my dd is 3 (she just turned 2 also). Mostly because I don't want to pay for 2 years of preschool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jesswalls
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I had my son and daughter 1 day shy of being a year apart. My daughter turned 1 May 20, and my son turned 2 May 21. Where I live they dont have to go when their 2 and 3. They can start when their 2. Ive thought about making my son go two years so when my daughter starts it will be easier on her having her brother with her, but thats not fair to my son. I am going to start checking into preschools around here though. Just in case I do decide, I want him to start now.

mariesmama
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:38 AM

mine turns 3  2 days after she starts preschool/headstart this fall because she turns 3 she ages out of her speech therapy and will get that at the school

jesswalls
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I was wrong, they start here when their three or four. I think giving them a head start will be good for them and they will benefit from it. My little boy barely will stay with family for a couple of hours so I know when it comes time for him to start it will be a challenge for us both lol.

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:32 AM
3 moms liked this

The most important lessons a child learns are from home!  Two is way too young to expect much peer socialization, and it really does not give them that much of a head start in school.  Read to him, play wwith him, go places with him, let him develop his relationship with you and your husband more before you send him to school.  Kindergarten comes soon enough!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)