Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Preschool and a 2 year old

Posted by   + Show Post

My little boy, Gavin, just turned 2. I have really been debating on rather or not to sign him up for preschool. There is many pros and cons, and I'm trying to decide what will benefit him in the long run. Some of the pros are social skills, interacting with children his age, and getting a head start at school. Of course cons include separating myself from him, worrying constantly, and I'm not sure how he will handle being away from me. I'm sure a lot of other mother's have had the same concerns. How could I know when it is a good time to start this next adventure for my wild and fun-loving toddler? My husband agrees it will be good for him, but I'm having a hard time letting go. Seems like he shouldn't be old enough to even start yet lol. I just want what's best for him. Any advice?

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:30 AM
Replies (11-20):
kimber2465
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM

yes preschool is important- they want to know some much more now when they start school. heck they are doing classes that i had in high school- they are  now doing in middle school. and the same with middles school classes they are doing in elementary. my kids started school when they were two and so have my grandkids. my grandson is three and half. he goes half day. and yes even at two they can get alot of preschool

kaffedrikke
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Why not wait until he is four?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1L2CMommy
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM
DD is 2, her birthday is January 15. She is starting preschool this fall. It's 3 days a week, 3 hours a day. I was not going to start her in preschool until she was 4, but we moved across the street from the school, and the realtor and pediatrician I hired both had high praise for the school. When I researched it, it is one of the best in the state. I told the director I was nervous about sending her now because she's so little. She said her 2-3 year old classes love it and it's only 9 hours total a week. That helped ease my concerns. I think DD will love it. I just hope I make it through the first week of her being gone!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting MusherMaggie:

The most important lessons a child learns are from home!  Two is way too young to expect much peer socialization, and it really does not give them that much of a head start in school.  Read to him, play wwith him, go places with him, let him develop his relationship with you and your husband more before you send him to school.  Kindergarten comes soon enough!

My kids had TONS of peer socialization when they went to school at 2. They formed friendships, started learning how to work through what it was to be a friend and talked about their friends at home all the time. It is amazing what 2 year olds are capable of. :)
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:42 PM
My boys loved school at 2 and had a blast. :)
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM

My girls were in preschool.  They loved it and there were internet cameras set up where the girls went.  Kaden is in speech therapy or I'd have him in preschool.

mommy11416
by New Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this

i am for preschool. i have a daughter that is 2 and she has been in early head start program since she was 1. its hard at first and you worrie alot but in the end its well worth it for the child. and you also get your break that every mom needs for a day to concentrate on yourself and what you need to get done.

jesswalls
by Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 1:14 AM

I dont want to be closed minded when it comes to what will benefit my child. He is already so so smart. Hes already counting, knows how old he is, and he knows what absolutely everything is on his body. I know with sending him, it will give him a early start on preparing for actual school. Not only that, but it will prepare us both for when the times comes to be away from each other! He will barely go two hours without me, and I want to slowly start breaking that. He deserves to be around kids his age, and get to interact and learn social skills!

MomofBoys838
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Both of my boys went to preschool, and it was a good decision for us.  You may want to find a preschool that you can choose a two day, three day, or five day program.  Mine were both 3 when they started, in a two day program, then went to three day when they turned 4.  They learned good social skills and how to relate to other adults....although my youngest, to this day, insists I was mean to make him go for 2 WHOLE years!! (He's a bit of a Mama's boy :)  )

ladybugMarie

mommy11416
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 2:25 PM

going to preschool is best way to get social skills and i agree with most find one that has just a few days plan to lean your child into getting use to being a round. its best he learns now then later cuz if school starts and he dont want to leave you can have trouble. i know a mom that didnt work with her cild and well the little girl got kicked out of her school cuz she gave her teacher a bloody nose. it wasnt on purpose. the teacher graped the child and took her away from the mother but the child swong so fast to the point she biffed the teacher in the nose really good and she had a bloody nose.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)