Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Preschool and a 2 year old

Posted by   + Show Post

My little boy, Gavin, just turned 2. I have really been debating on rather or not to sign him up for preschool. There is many pros and cons, and I'm trying to decide what will benefit him in the long run. Some of the pros are social skills, interacting with children his age, and getting a head start at school. Of course cons include separating myself from him, worrying constantly, and I'm not sure how he will handle being away from me. I'm sure a lot of other mother's have had the same concerns. How could I know when it is a good time to start this next adventure for my wild and fun-loving toddler? My husband agrees it will be good for him, but I'm having a hard time letting go. Seems like he shouldn't be old enough to even start yet lol. I just want what's best for him. Any advice?

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:30 AM
Replies (21-30):
jesswalls
by Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I believe I'm going to enroll him when hes three. I actually have no idea how to even get started on enrolling him. We just started potty training, and I am so proud of my little man! My mother in law said to make sure hes potty trained before I enroll him. Can I choose how many hours a week he goes? When I was little, my mom put me in preschool, and I went to the AM classes. Will I be able to choose if he goes in the morning or evening? I guess I need to get started and get infortmation huh? LOL

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:43 AM
My boys lived their prek when they were 2.
mrsparker0
by Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:51 AM
If you do some research, boys aren't ready for school as early as girls. Typically most boys are held back a year so that they are developmentally on par with the girls. As moms of boys I think we know they are just too busy running around with curiosity exploring the world, which they are still learning by doing so! That being said, there is sooo much you can do from home. I do flashcards, computer aided learning, your baby can read series, sign language, crafts, etc and has paid off tremendously for my son. I also started watching another boy at my home so my son could start working on social skills
more, amongother
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsparker0
by Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:52 AM
**among other benefits.

Lol sry my phone had a mind of its own there. GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jul. 28, 2012 at 1:31 PM

You do want your child to have social skills.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jul. 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mrsparker0:

**among other benefits.

Lol sry my phone had a mind of its own there. GL!

Lol don't they all.

othermom
by Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I usually wait till 3-4 years old

Laurin283
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I think you said it, but most preschools I know of start at 3 and won't take a 2 yr old.  My son went for 2 years, and while it was good for the first year, he was SOOO bored that he was getting in trouble the second year.  You have plenty of time- I'd check out the school/program you're considering, and make sure that students who go for 2 years will have new things to learn and different experiences from the 1st to 2nd years. 

jesswalls
by Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Thanks for all the advice ladies. It has been very helpful! I am so glad I came upon this website where I can chat with other mothers, and get their point of view! I appreciate all the help!

JenTheDragon
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My younger LO just turned 2 this month. She is starting preschool this fall. It will only be 1 day a week for 2.5 hours. I also sent my older LO when she was 2. It was the best thing ever! She had such a good time and the socialization was wonderful! I think as long as it isn't every day, all day, your LO will love it!

You can do this Mommy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)