Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Work Ethic

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:55 AM
  • 42 Replies

How is yours?  Does your family come first or your job?

The reason why I ask is because my boss thinks work should always come first.  ALWAYS!!!  My uncle is dieing and I wanted to go see him, oh but accourding to my boss my job should come first.

One of my co-workers had to have test done to test for cancer and needed a day off and she would not let her and said she should think about the company first.  She was told the company should come first before herself or her family.

by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shaunadale
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Ethnic, lol?

Your boss sucks. Nothing is more important than family and good companies and bosses know that. My company stresses that family comes first. Happy families help make happy loyal employees. My husbands company is swedish owned and they put a huge value on family. Lots of vacation and mandatory paternity and maternity leave.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jul. 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM

haha oops will fix it

Quoting shaunadale:

Ethnic, lol?

Your boss sucks. Nothing is more important than family and good companies and bosses know that. My company stresses that family comes first. Happy families help make happy loyal employees. My husbands company is swedish owned and they put a huge value on family. Lots of vacation and mandatory paternity and maternity leave.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jul. 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Quoting shaunadale:

Ethnic, lol?

Your company sounds like a great company.  And I agree that Happy families help make happy, loyal employees.

I am miserable at my job (yes I am thankful I have one)  I have 2 job interviews in the next 2 days so I only have to tolerate it for a few more.

roxxyt
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 1:03 PM
That's not a boss that's an ass, cares only about the bottom line and doesn't care how it gets their.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jul. 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Quoting roxxyt:

That's not a boss that's an ass, cares only about the bottom line and doesn't care how it gets their.

I so agree.  She does soooooo many shady things and I am thinking of turning her in to BBB or whomever it shall be. 

Ilaynasmommy
by Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:26 PM
It depends. Notice should be given but if you need a job it should be a priority. I would only take off for immediate family mom brother or husband or child dying. The way I see it your job is how you support your family so it should be as important as your family. You cant see your uncle arond your work schedule?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ilaynasmommy
by Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:29 PM
Also, how long have you worked for them and how many times have you called ou#t?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Quoting Ilaynasmommy:

Also, how long have you worked for them and how many times have you called ou#t?

it'll be 2 yrs in oct.  and I have never called out.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Quoting Ilaynasmommy:

It depends. Notice should be given but if you need a job it should be a priority. I would only take off for immediate family mom brother or husband or child dying. The way I see it your job is how you support your family so it should be as important as your family. You cant see your uncle arond your work schedule?

yeah needing a job should be priority but when it comes to unexpected situations, you should be able to take a day off.  My uncle is like my dad, he took his place after my dad passed away. 

My co-worker had to take a day off during work hours bc her doc appt was 3 hrs away.  and she works mon-fri, her doc is not open on weekends.

And this job the way she treats her employers will never be family.  She treats us like dog turds.  Belittles us in front of others, yells at us, calls us all liars.  I started going to school and she made it a big deal that I will never amount to anything, it's a waste of time etc... after talking about how she wants her employees to go to school.  What a load of crap.  No "family" should treat you like that.

the job pays nothing and use most of it in gas so there is no saving up at all. 

I have 2 job interviews coming up and I am leaving first chance I get.

MomofBoys838
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:48 AM

You are wise to leave that toxic place.  What your boss does amounts to bullying...we don't tolerate it in schools, and it should not be tolerated in the workplace (I was bullied at work as well).  I am so sorry she is making it so difficult for you to go see your dying uncle.....she has her head in the sand by keeping you away from your family at this time.  Death is a permanent condition and you will never be able to get that time back, and she is an ass for putting you in that position.

An extreme example of a wonderful company:  my dh missed four months of work last fall, because of several medical crises.  Not only did they find people to cover his work duties, but had insurance in place that paid 40% of his income, and sick leave covered the rest.....AND they welcomed him back with open arms, even though he would not be able to perform as well, due to permanent changes in his capabilities.  THAT is an employee first company.

Good luck...I am praying that one of your interviews will become a new job offer and you can leave.  Hugs, Momma!!

ladybugMarie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)