Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Oppositional Defiant Disorder

Posted by   + Show Post
I have what I will call a difficult 5 year old boy. He has been extremely difficult since he was about 3 and, if anything, has gotten worse. I spoke with a psychologist about him and she suggested possible auditory processing disorder. However, since then, he has shown more aggressive behavior.
Does anybody have a child who has oppositional defiant disorder? What are the symptoms and can you give me examples? The Internet is somewhat vague when I attempted to research it.

Thank you....
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Replies (11-20):
Mackenzi
by New Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 9:01 PM
I think the worst part of his behavior is when he is being punished......he gives me this smile that is almost evil. I feel bad saying that but it's a very sly smile. It really bothers me. He's only 5 and I feel with the way he thinks and acts, he could grow into a VERY abusive adolescent/adult. He CANNOT control his temper. His 3 year old sister told him she didn't like him. About 10 minutes later, he walked up to her and punched her in the face. I asked him why and he said "because she said she doesn't like me" . but in the heat of the moment he is worse. He clenches his fists and starts screaming as loud as he can. I can't control him and I am at my wits end.
kimsardo
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 1:08 AM

All I know is what I've read of the internet

kimsardo
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Quoting Mackenzi:

I think the worst part of his behavior is when he is being punished......he gives me this smile that is almost evil. I feel bad saying that but it's a very sly smile. It really bothers me. He's only 5 and I feel with the way he thinks and acts, he could grow into a VERY abusive adolescent/adult. He CANNOT control his temper. His 3 year old sister told him she didn't like him. About 10 minutes later, he walked up to her and punched her in the face. I asked him why and he said "because she said she doesn't like me" . but in the heat of the moment he is worse. He clenches his fists and starts screaming as loud as he can. I can't control him and I am at my wits end.

I have a behavior interventionist come to my home twice a week. It's basically like supper nanny.  She teaches me how to teach my son. 

Mackenzi
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Kimsardo, I don't think I could afford someone to do that. I honestly did think about calling super nanny but I don't want my familys private life aired on television. I just want my children to be happy, and ds never seems to be that at all. I never thought a 5 yr old telling me he wants me to die would hurt my heart so much, but it sure does. If only my children could understand they are my world....
minnie31mouse
by Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I am super curious, we recently aquired guardianship of our grandson, long story but after 4 months with his natural father and him disappearing we have him back...and we have noticed some of these behaviors....every time out is funny...every scolding is funny...and IMMEDIATELY after time out he walks over and commits the same offense...Is he just 3 or should I have this looked at?

He does not display tantrums usually...nothing at allhorrible...just completely utteryl defiant and thinks it's all funny...wheich by the way infuriates both my husband and myself....he is after all 3 but still he looks at you with eyes...that know what he is doing and doing it on purpose....Jealousy also huge but being 3 again not sure...

bestevermom5
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:48 PM

My oldest son and youngest daughter both have ODD.He is 12, shes 9. My son also has ADHD and together we have found that having something structured to do (reading,writing,coloring,etc..) seems to help the most for him, when he starts being mean to his 4 siblings or me. Staying on a schedule helps too, allowing plenty of time for play with the other kids while being supervised. He also knows that sleep is very important, he needs 10-12 hours a night and hes worse if he does not get enough. He hates authority figures me included and would tell me so. Now things are almost normal for him with consistent behavorial punishments and rewards...it takes time (8years and counting) and patience(buckets and buckets) but its worth it!!!!!!!

kitten0207
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 7:56 AM
My son, now almost 10 years of age has been diagnosed with adhd and ODD about a year ago, after 2 years of nasty behavior at school and home. Alot of what I'm reading on here is what I've experienced with him, although every kid is different, I didn't think his behavior was something serious when he was younger but he has been defiant since around 3 years old, no punishment works with him, doesn't phase him at all, at school he has thrown desks and other items at people, tried to stab kids with pencils, broken various things including every toy he has, he hit teachers, bus aids, and swore at them, and even told his teacher he wants to kill himself and the various ways he would do it, all because he was mad or angry at something or
someone... And even attempted to punch a window, and that one got him admitted for a day,
He has been to four schools in 2 years and finally the one he's in now is working with him and me to try and make things easier...
You name it I have been through it with him, and even ended up in court now cause his dad thinks it's my fault...
I'm still looking for ways to handle this one, at home he is pretty good, but he is failing at school and that is the tough part...I dont go to school with him so I don't see what he does there I am only told what goes on, and never do I get the whole story.

So basically in my opinion, every kid should be tested that displays these behaviors early on, it could be the difference between a living nightmare or something that can be dealt with day by day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jul. 28, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Welcome, I don't have a child with that but I know some children who have it...but sometimes I feel it is a lack of discipline.

MrsImperfect
by Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 3:05 PM
I probably dont really need to chime in but my son was never diagnoised this disorder. He has other things wrong with him. But for the longest time starting at age 3 I thought he had this. Up until last year. He did all of the above and I was at my wits end. People thought he was psycho. But suddenly hes calmed down. And hasnt done it as much. Actually hardly at all. Hes almost 12 now and I think hes hitting puberty and that has calmed him down.....for now. Maybe theres hope for you guys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

That sounds pretty scary,has he ever been in day care or left with someone who bullied him at all? Did you tell the therapist about the violence towards his sister and the family dog?

Quoting Mackenzi:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN