Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Oppositional Defiant Disorder

Posted by   + Show Post
I have what I will call a difficult 5 year old boy. He has been extremely difficult since he was about 3 and, if anything, has gotten worse. I spoke with a psychologist about him and she suggested possible auditory processing disorder. However, since then, he has shown more aggressive behavior.
Does anybody have a child who has oppositional defiant disorder? What are the symptoms and can you give me examples? The Internet is somewhat vague when I attempted to research it.

Thank you....
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Replies (21-24):
lazyd
by Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 12:58 AM
Mackenzi and kitten0207, my son has done the exact same things that you post. He is 10. Everytime i "try" to punish him, he smiles and laughs/smirks. It irritates me even more and he knows that. I also felt like the worst mom and a bad parent, but i know its not ALLLL my fault now. My son says he wants us to die and that sometimes he says that he wants to die cuz we dont love him. Which i know hurts, but he doesnt know how else to express his feelings sometimes.
Mackenzi
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:33 AM
I can't quote posts using my iPad for some reason....
*from the outside it can look like a lack of discipline I'm sure. HOWEVER unless you are dealing with it, you have NO idea how it feels to have to deal with this. As I have stated, I also have a daughter and guess what.. She isn't at all like my son. I have treated them no differently.

*no, I did not tell the therapist about that stuff because it hadn't escalated that far yet. The beating of the dog and his sister just recently happened. I talked to the therapist a couple years ago. She suggested auditory processing disorder, which he does also exhibit a lot of traits of, and said that's probably the reasoning behind his bad temper....because he is just frustrated.
kitten0207
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Honestly,it's really hard trying to explain this to someone who hasn't gone through it, cuz everyone always jumps to the sAme conclusion, including my s/o. Lack of discipline.. but really, if it were that then punishment would work and there would be no more problems....
But sadly that is not the case.

My son is in therapy now and hopefully it helps him to cope with life better, and I to have a daughter who is completely different than my son, in every way.

I'm glad to know now that I am not alone, and now understand this stuff alot better than before!! Thanks ladies. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mackenzi
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Kitten, my s/o agrees there is something more to this than lack of discipline, thank god. Because if he too thought it was that, it would make this even harder for me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)