Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

So my husband and I host couples card games once per month. We are in our 30's but a lot of the couples are older, in their 50's I think and some almost 60.

We drink pretty heavily (each has a DD I promise) and play cards until late. Well...

I'm cleaning up after our game is over and all of a sudden this older friend of ours just passes out. Not like he slinkied down but full out SLAM! His whole body hit the floor at one time as if he just fell back like someone was gonna catch him kind of game.

Somehow, instics just overwhelmed me - I found myself at his side immediately. He wasn't breathing AT ALL. I looked up and my friend was there, I said "Do you know CPR? I will start compressions as soon as you give him a breath, Let's go!" Before I knew it I had my hands on his chest going "1, 2, 3, 4" and he opened his eyes and took a deep breath.

Come to find out he has numerous health problems, most importantly a heart problem. I kind of think the compressions woke his heart back up. He left in an ambulance and has been fine ever since.

I'm still in shock. At some point after the fire truck, ambulance etc. left I just sobbed. It's amazing how mothers do these things without even knowing they are doing it. This is the fourth life I have saved.

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Quoting Thelmama:

Glad you knew what to do.

Yes, the kids was telling me when they teach CPR now you do not blow in there mouth...nothing shocks me today!

mrsparker0
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:36 PM
How cool! Awesome instincts esp after a few! Thx for the share :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow!
MomofBoys838
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow! Your quick thinking saved his life.  Kudos to you, Momma!  My dh is in the hospital right now with heart issues.  I hope we always hang around people like you.  I'm always going over in my head what I'd do if he collapsed, I guess so I wouldn't panic and freeze up.

LML1
by Kristy on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh wow! CPR is handy, I hope to never have to use it... Good Job Mom! I'm sure he is very greatful to have you as a friend.

laughingsqua125
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

with me it was my husband diabeties unknown to me he over dosed on his insulin . his sugar was 518  whenwe layed down . woke . i woke up 2 hrs later for him to take his test he wouldnt wake up called 911 they came in & found sugar dropped to 26. took him to hospital put him on ventilator careflighted him to another because nonresponsive . after being there 3 days thats when they figured out what happened . if id been 20minutes later no husband diabetic coma

WitchyMom2
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, that must have been scary but your quick thinking saved the day.

Crissy2424
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

That sounded scarey, but.....God Bless you!

missg8
by Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Amazing. You did great.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Aug. 3, 2012 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)