Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Wondering what you ladies would do if you were in my shoes. **UPDATE**

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 4:03 AM
  • 25 Replies

So longish story short.  I may be getting a divorce.  If that happens he wants to move back to Malaysia where his family lives.  He also wants to take our dd there & asked if I would be willing to live there so that she can spend 6 months w/ him & 6 months w/ me. He said either way it will be like that.   Im just wondering what would you ladies says to this. 

Thanks for your replies, all gave me replies  like I thought that you would. lol  I just wanted to know.  Im sure Im not movin to Malaysia & he isnt going anywhere  anyway Im hopeing we dont get a divorce so I guess we will just see.

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 4:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
danijean
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 4:06 AM
Hell to the no for me. That's way to far from my family. Plus if your DD is school age they probably won't do the whole 6 months thing she would probably spend her summers with him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SFerber
by New Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 4:09 AM

Ummm, ya NO!     Unless that is your homeland or unless you have always wanted to live there and, whoopie this is your chance.   

Are you considering it?   Do you realize you do not have rights when you move out of the country?  You would need to do a whole heck of a lot of soul searching and research on laws, custody, etc.

slashteddy
by Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 4:14 AM

Like PP said - once your DD is school age that's going to be a big issue. Plus, even if you WERE to do 6 mo there and 6 mo here, you might have to continually get visas for her to stay there that long? And with plane tickets... It would get pretty expensive pretty quick. I'd say if he wants to see her HE can come back for summers or something... Also, was she born in your country? If so, I don't think he can just force you to let her go to Malaysia with him six months of every year. :\ And I have no idea what Malaysian travel policies looks like... Idk. There's a lot of legal stuff for this one.

Mommy2beAB
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 4:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have probably laughed in his face. Do not let him scare you... Lawyer up and do your research! 

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Quoting danijean:

Hell to the no for me. That's way to far from my family. Plus if your DD is school age they probably won't do the whole 6 months thing she would probably spend her summers with him.

This is pretty much what I was thinking.
the4mutts
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Umm, no. The USA is not going to send a kid to malaysia for 6 months, when he voluntarily moves out of the country. He's lying to you.
If you WANT to go there, then by all means, go. But if you don't, then wave bye bye, tell him to get a lawyer, and let him go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsparker0
by Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 9:53 AM
Lawyer up mama! He/she can give you the lowdown on what needs to be done. Im pretty sure if he moves with dd and without your consent it could be kidknapping. Talk to a lawyer, learn your rights, and get away asap!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommeeTo4
by Smart Mouth McGee on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:31 AM
I would get a lawyer. Do not let him take her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I say hire a good lawyer now and don't sign anything.  If she was born in the US, chances are that visitation will have to be here. 

gumbeme06
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Have you ever been to Malaysia? HELL NO would I want my child living there, let alone away from me. Like the other girls said lawyer up, but chances are he can't take her out of the country
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN