Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

My cousin was denied a teacher's job in Florida because of "exponged" criminal record

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 1:25 PM
  • 9 Replies

Okay, so before you get an opinion of my cousin (and no its not me) he is not a "criminal" or anything near it.

Nice guy, rents, pays bills on time, graduated college, wanted to be a teacher to make a difference.

3 years being a teacher at a local high school and then they tell him he is not being offered another year because he "lied" on his application about a past criminal record.

He has no idea what they are talking about.

He called Florida Law Department and they said they must have looked at his exponged record.

I asked him, have you been charged as a criminal before? He said, not that I can remember. The only thing I can think of it that once I got caught stealing a CD when I was 13 years old!

Does anyone know what he can do about this?

Some clarification:

I mis-typed. He was teaching for two years at a high school in south fl then moved to central fl. He taught at the central fl school for a year. Its the central fl school where his contract was up for renewal. 

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
EireLass
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 3:00 PM
2 moms liked this

It's easier when taken care of immediately. If the record were truly expunged, it wouldn't have been found, especially that he was a juvinile. He should contact an attorney to find out how to do it in his area.

Thelmama
by Thelma on Aug. 9, 2012 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this

He needs to contact an attorney. If it was expunged it shouldn't even be there.

Tricia1979
by New Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I would tell him to do an online criminal search of himself and contact an attorney. It could have been something as little as failure to carry insurance while driving ticket, Dept of Ed usually digs pretty deep.

pamelax3
by Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I would contact an attorney... You never know someone could have gotten in trouble with his identity

sjump25
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Exactly

Quoting Thelmama:

He needs to contact an attorney. If it was expunged it shouldn't even be there.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:31 AM
In addition to it obviously not being expunged, juvenile records should be sealed.
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:35 AM
Quoting pamelax3:

I would contact an attorney... You never know someone could have gotten in trouble with his identity

Good point!!!!
jakesmom323
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:36 AM
I think there could be more to the story. Maybe they were digging to find a way to fire him. Usually employers go back 7 years. If it was legally exponged, it wouldn't be there. Plus he was a minor. I hope he gets another job soon;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LML1
by Kristy on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:00 AM

That's a little ridiculous... Worst than that, why did the school wait 3 years to do a background check?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN