Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

What am I a fool??

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM
  • 22 Replies

I was on craigslist looking for another part time job and I found one that caught my eye.  It was to clean for a family.  So I responded and got an email back almost instantly.

I will highlight a few key factors of it being a SCAM

Dear Applicant, (well since I gave him my first name you would think he would use it.  Unless this is bulk!!

Thanks for your Email and interest toward the House cleaner position on Craigslist. My name is Alex smith (pretty generic name but his grammar and spelling sucks), I am married with 2 kids Angelika and John (John Smith lol) my wife name is Alysha We are relocating to the US (where in the US?) from United Kingdom. The purpose of our relocation to the United States (where in the US?) is basically because of the Seminar on United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), 6th meeting of the Ad Hoc Open-ended
Working Group on Article 8(j) and Related Provisions (WG8J 6), and the North American industry association Green Roofs for Healthy Cities (GRHC) in partnership with the World Green Roof Infrastructure Network BLAH BLAH BLAH!!
(WGRIN).  I don't give a rats patooty why you are where you are and for what or even where you are at this moment in time!!

Also this was posted on our local Craigslist city page. But yet he keeps talking about moving to the U.S. not once mentioning the City!!

The duration of our stay in the United states will be 6 months, so i need someone who could help take care of the house, Help my Wife and watch my kids while am off to work also Someone that can help in running some errands. The basic reason for this post and search for an helper is because my wife is Physically challenged and has been on the wheel chair for about 13 months now so it's been hard for her to take care of the kids and get around on her own.  This to me would be a legit reason for needing service.

I'm willing to Pay $400 weekly plus $50 for transportation or gas fee, i will be needing your services for only 5 hours daily and at any suitable time that fits your schedule but preferably in the afternoons between 3pm and 7pm, Mondays through Fridays.. I believe you will be fit for this position in as much you will prove yourself to be a reliable and good person.  The grammar is kind of sad!!

We have a financier that is based in the United states(where in the US?) and he will be handling the payment and some other expenses, so he will be the one that will be taking care of your payment as well, I will instruct him to pay for the firsts week before our arrival so as to secure your service, actually i should have paid for more weeks but i will extend the payment if am satisfied with your service after 2 weeks.

My financier will be making out a check to you before our arrival, you will be receiving a check of $2,950.00 (yeah mmhmm got it) out of which you will be deducting your pay for the firsts week and you will be using the remaining to buy Groceries/Food Stuffs and other things needed in the house, you will be getting this Food Stuffs and other home materials before our arrival date which is on or before 09/10/2012.
As of now, I am still unsure of the Physical address of the apartment where i will be staying but will instruct The estate agent to mail the keys/Address of Our apartment to you as soon as the place is ready so that you can do all other necessary preparations before Our arrival,(ok here he talks of being unsure of their residences, this will have significants in a sec) I have reasons to believe that the painter and electrician are working on getting the apartment fixed and ready for use. (Here he is talking about the apt being ready by said painter and electrician) Unless I am misunderstanding and he is having it ready from his company and wasn't told where but I doubt it.
I will email you the shopping list as soon as i have gotten
confirmation that you have received the payment. That being said,my financier would be needing the following Information to make out a check payment to you immediately upon your acceptance of the Job:

Name to be on Check :
Home address or Office Address :
City :
State :
Zip code :
Sex : (well my name is quite girly but whatever)
Phone number very important:
Email address:

If myself and my wife are pleased with your service within 2 weeks, there will be other incentives. However, we need a more mature person that is above 17yrs of age who is very knowledgeable to handle things without much supervision.

I will be waiting to hear from you.

Best Regards

Mr and Mrs Alex smith

Ok I have posted something similar about 6mths or so ago when I was house hunting.  They said that they have the keys in Africa, but I can feel free to drive by the house and look through the windows but they will not mail the keys until they have recieved payment.  Yeah ok buddy I'll get right on that.

If you are still with me at this point,you are brave lol

by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommysangelface
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 10:59 PM

scam.  i got the same thing before for cleaning as well. lmao

different names but same thing

Bmama1
by Bernadette on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM
I got something similar also when looking for a house to rent. Ugh!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamasheart2012
by Donna on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Definite SCAM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Hahaha!!  "Rat Patooty"...you just made me think of Ratatouille, lol.

Yep.  That is a scam with a capital "S" and a whole lotta red flags there.

momrocks2000
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Major scam.  They may send you a money order that is fraudulent. They want you to put it in your bank account ,  take the money, give 90% back to some unknown person (the scammer knows), and you get soaked with the overdraft of $2900.00 !   I can tell by the use of language, the person does not use English.   If the job sounds to good to be true, it is.  What employer (in his right mind) hires you, sight unseen, no background check, and is willing to give you over 2Grand before you even work one hour.   Noooooo.   I wouldn't write them back, because you'll get more 'job offers' from the other ppl in the hut they "the scammers" are typing in,,,they will pass your email addy around.  Thats what I tell all my friends.   can't u see abunch of idiots trying to spellcheck words from one language to English....and try to find common "American names" so we can find gullible ppl to send us $ via Western Union.   Ok, mr. & mrs. smith, i'll be right on that...yes, i'll get all that food stuff you want, just wait...it will be at your new apt.. abunch of b.s.  Sure mr. & mrs. smith, please send me that $2000, but i need it all in cash.

XOXOArmyWife
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 4:46 AM
I get those a lot. Sadly some people fall for it! It's sad people try to scam others. Ugh :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:52 AM

There are lots of scams on Craigslist.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Quoting Kmakksmom:

Hahaha!!  "Rat Patooty"...you just made me think of Ratatouille, lol.

Yep.  That is a scam with a capital "S" and a whole lotta red flags there.

Lol, I love your choice of words!

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Quoting Bmama1:

I got something similar also when looking for a house to rent. Ugh!

That's not nice is it when you are trying to find something you really need

EireLass
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:23 AM

use Care.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN