Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

What are some of your favorite entertaining ideas and recipes this holiday season?

Posted by   + Show Post

Busy moms know entertaining during the holidays can be a difficult job but it doesn't have to be. We asked 25 CafeMoms to be mBlog Ambassadors and visit Macy's mBlog site for holiday entertaining tips, gift ideas, recipes and more!  Then we asked them to come back to CafeMom and share what they've learned. With Macy's mBlog, CafeMoms have an online destination for home and lifestyle news supplied by an impressive network of industry experts and Macy's own in-house bloggers!

This months theme is home happenings. What's are some of your home entertaining ideas this holiday season?  Do you find any inspirations from mBlog for your holiday happenings?

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Replies (111-120):
othermom
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Those do sound great

Quoting Bmama1:

Oooooooo these sound good!

Quoting chrissysnow22:

Vanilla Wafers are my new party staple. They are pretty easy and taste so good.

1/2c unsalted butter, softened 1c sugar Cream together to that add 1 egg 2TBS vanilla extract Mix together 1 1/3c flour 3/4t baking powder 1/4t salt Add dry ingredients to wet mix Either drop teaspoons onto ungreased baking sheet or place a nickel
 sized ball between your palms and flatten slightly for a crispier cookie. Bake at 350 for 12-15 mins until golden brown.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Makes 8 servings

For the cake layers:

8 oz cream cheese, softened
8 eggs
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup granulated sugar substitute
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

For the frosting:

8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup granulated sugar substitute
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbl heavy cream

pecan halves to garnish (optional)

To make the cakes, combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend on medium speed until smooth.  Let the batter rest for 5 minutes.  Pour about one fifth of the batter into a greased 8 inch microwavable pan - round or square depending on your preference.  You should have about 1/4 inch depth of batter covering the bottom.  Microwave for 3 minutes on high.  Let cool for 2 minutes and remove to a clean surface while you make your other layers.  Repeat until you have five layers.  Alternatively, you can bake it in the oven at 350 for about 8-10 minutes or until firm. 

Meanwhile, beat together your softened cream cheese, pumpkin, splenda, and cinnamon until very smooth.  Add the vanilla and heavy cream and beat until fully combined.  You can do this in the blender, food processor, or in a heavy duty mixer on high speed.  Adjust sweetness to your preference.

To assemble, place a cake layer on the dish or pan of your choice.  Cover with a thin layer of frosting.  Repeat until you have five layers.  Frost the sides of the cake, and garnish with pecan halves if desired.

Approximate nutrition information per serving:  313 calories, 26g fat, 4.25g net carbs, 12g protein

For more great recipes, download The Gluten Free Low Carber

Flaca43
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Ooh! This is great! I'm going to check it out some more. THank you.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I need some new ideas - off to go read!

RubyQ
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Quoting MichelleK41:

Our families all time fav.! We have to make 2 for Thanksgiving. =)

Pumpkin Crunch Cake

2 cans pumpkin (not pie mix)
1 large can evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 or 1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 yellow cake mix
1 1/2 cups chopped nuts
2 sticks butter, melted, and cooled

Preheat oven to 350. Grease sides and bottom of 9x13 pan. Put wax paper in bottom. Mix pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs and spice well. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix over pumpkin mixture in pan. Sprinkle nuts over cake mix; spoon cooled, melted butter over nuts. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Let Cool completely. Invert onto serving tray.

Frosting

1 8oz cream cheese

3/4 cup defrosted Cool Whip
1/2 cup confectioners sugar

Mix together and frost.

thank you for posting this! Yum!! How many ounces is the large can evaporated milk?

MichelleK41
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi its a 12 oz. can. =)

Quoting RubyQ:

Quoting MichelleK41:

Our families all time fav.! We have to make 2 for Thanksgiving. =)

Pumpkin Crunch Cake

2 cans pumpkin (not pie mix)
1 large can evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 or 1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 yellow cake mix
1 1/2 cups chopped nuts
2 sticks butter, melted, and cooled

Preheat oven to 350. Grease sides and bottom of 9x13 pan. Put wax paper in bottom. Mix pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs and spice well. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix over pumpkin mixture in pan. Sprinkle nuts over cake mix; spoon cooled, melted butter over nuts. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Let Cool completely. Invert onto serving tray.

Frosting

1 8oz cream cheese

3/4 cup defrosted Cool Whip
1/2 cup confectioners sugar

Mix together and frost.

thank you for posting this! Yum!! How many ounces is the large can evaporated milk?

stillkim
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Quoting kellynh:

Nope, I have my own style!!! ;) 

Share your style!

stillkim
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Quoting mrswillie:

We love a fire going and Christmas music playing.

I'd love to have a fireplace. I've been thinking of the fake heater type things. Not the same but fake it till you make it.

mrswillie
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Although we have a wood burning stove, we also have one of the fake heater types in our bed room. It is kind of romantic

Quoting stillkim:

Quoting mrswillie:

We love a fire going and Christmas music playing.

I'd love to have a fireplace. I've been thinking of the fake heater type things. Not the same but fake it till you make it.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Quoting othermom:

I love some of the ideas on the mblog. I really love these three sets. They would be wonderful for helping me cook for the holidays

image1.jpg

Set it
Obviously, when it comes to the first matrimonial meal with your beau’s parents, you want every dish to come out perfect. But, if you’re still working with the one or two cooking utensils from your first apartment, that might be hard! Upgrade from your solo days with all-in-one sets that can prepare anything (for even the most finicky of palates!)

I love this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN