Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

So it's okay to spank your child but not breastfeed them? My visit from CPS

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM
  • 92 Replies

I hate ghetto people. I really, really do.

I just had CPS show up at my house yesterday and I know who called on me. Some trashy little girl from the neighborhood who my 12 year old dd used to be friends with. They had a fight about a week ago and the girl swore she'd get Savannah back. Now a social worker shows up asking about (skewed) events that only the girl would have known. I'm so pissed.

Here were the allegations

I have a filthy house. (Nope)The kids just drop trash on the floor. (Nope) I have no food, no refrigerator and the kids are always  hungry. (Not true) My children go around barefoot and dirty because I don't bathe them. (They play outside bare foot and dig in the dirt)They aren't in school because I supposedly "homeschool' them. (I really do homeschool them) My son cries all the time and doesn't know why.(Not at all!) I'm always outside screaming at them and acting crazy. (Oh for Gods sakes *eye roll*) My oldest daughter goes dumpster diving (Yes her and the child in question went looking for cans once and she found a pair of shoes) and my 5 year old daughter is still breastfed. (She is. I nurse her at night during stories and the brat would have known because she spent the night a few times and walked in on us)

So I asked the social worker, since when is breastfeeding illegal? She said at age 5 it can be considered abuse depending on the discretion of the worker. I said wait a minute. So by California law, I can spank my 5 year old but not breastfeed her?? She nodded yes then asked me if I did (nurse). God help me I lied and said she weaned last month.  She said okay, looked at the house, talked to the kids and left.

I feel sick to my stomach that I had to lie about something like that. I know it's not illegal but I wasn't willing to drag it out. And my trust is sooo gone. I don't know if I'll ever feel comfortable having anyone's friends over again :-(

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ac10
by New Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Seriously?? I doubt it's illegal. It probably just depends whether the case worker understand human biology.  Hate that you had to lie. 

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM

That's what I was thinking too. But I just didn't want to take a chance :-(

Quoting ac10:

Seriously?? I doubt it's illegal. It probably just depends whether the case worker understand human biology.  Hate that you had to lie. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

RoxyJI
by Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:50 AM
What the hell???

I'll admit, ebf wouldn't be MY choice. But I sure as hell wouldn't condemn anyone else for doing it. I'm baffled that they even went as far as to question you about that part.

SMH. Yet another reason why I have zero faith in our system. It failed me several times, and continues to fail.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I know! Ebf is a life style choice not abuse dammit. I don't get why it was  brought up either.

And how did the system fail you?

Quoting RoxyJI:

What the hell???

I'll admit, ebf wouldn't be MY choice. But I sure as hell wouldn't condemn anyone else for doing it. I'm baffled that they even went as far as to question you about that part.

SMH. Yet another reason why I have zero faith in our system. It failed me several times, and continues to fail.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Oh and OT but check out this advertisment that just popped up Lmao is that ironic or what?

xLilBit22
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow thats crazy. Im sorry that happened to u
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Quoting xLilBit22:

Wow thats crazy. Im sorry that happened to u

Marz31
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:13 PM

OMG, seriously, THIS is what's wrong with the system. yes, some things are gray, but some are black and white and there is simply put, no way to force a child to do something like that, trust me, DD weaned at 15 months and I was really hoping for longer, but her call. but wow, yeah, what a bunch of great neighbors.....grrrr....can we have the case workers going to houses that are REALLY in need??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE??? UGH! (once upon a time, I worked for a state adoptions attorney and heard all about the stupid stuff that they hear and how backed up they are because of the non-issue things, and how they have to delay serious cases because of it, UGH!)

RoxyJI
by Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM
I was one of 8 kids that my mom couldn't/refused to care for. We were abused, neglected and exposed to unspeakable things as kids. There were CPS complaints filed against my mom since 1991. We got taken in 1999 only to be returned 2 days later because supposedly protocol wasn't followed. We were FINALLY in custody for good in 2001 when my mom abandoned us in a hotel room and NEVER came back.

I complained at school regularly. I complained at church regularly. I was tired of starving and seeing my siblings hungry while my drug addict mom took any money we had (birthday, babysitting pay, lawn work, etc) for herself while allowing us to eat from Dumpsters.

Every detail was in the reports. Yet it took 10 years??

This is why the system failed me.

Quoting paganbaby:

I know! Ebf is a life style choice not abuse dammit. I don't get why it was  brought up either.

And how did the system fail you?

Quoting RoxyJI:

What the hell???

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

There really isn't!

I know. I told her that I was so sorry her time was wasted. She could have been helping someone who really needed it instead of being here with me.

Quoting Marz31:

OMG, seriously, THIS is what's wrong with the system. yes, some things are gray, but some are black and white and there is simply put, no way to force a child to do something like that, trust me, DD weaned at 15 months and I was really hoping for longer, but her call. but wow, yeah, what a bunch of great neighbors.....grrrr....can we have the case workers going to houses that are REALLY in need??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE??? UGH! (once upon a time, I worked for a state adoptions attorney and heard all about the stupid stuff that they hear and how backed up they are because of the non-issue things, and how they have to delay serious cases because of it, UGH!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)