Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

What would you do if you lost your job tomorrow?

Posted by   + Show Post

I got laid off last year from Liberty Mutual. I was making about 45k a year. I was approved for unemployment a measley $275 per week! That was the maximum!  I have been working for all these years and that is all I got! Then they had the nerve to hold back a week. With all the experience I have I still wasn't getting all the calls I exspected. About six months later  they decided to randomly review my claim, I went without pay for 5 weeks! That made me never soley depend on money from jobs, or the state! These days you have to have a back up plan.

by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Replies (31-39):
hemlockprimrose
by Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I didn't lose my job, but I got hurt on the job... well it has been 3 1/2 months since I have been hurt.. and have no income coming in at all... I can't return to work till I have knee surgery.. I am waiting for the Ins Co / Workman's comp to figure out what they want to do... I finally got an Attorney involved.. but well just a waiting game... why should they get in a big hurry ???? they are getting there pay checks..and like you once or if I do get workman's comp benefits it will be nothing like what my pay check would be.. I feel for you !!! 

amberklo
by New Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:56 PM
I would cry because I love my job.We would be ok because my husband works
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Stephy52315
by New Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Even though my husband works and we wouldn't be on the streets, we would be absolutely broke and struggling worse than we are now. I would probably collect for a little while, regroup and find another job.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2012 at 1:16 PM

We would be homeless.

lorriekueffer
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:03 AM

You are SO right about having a back up plan. Unfortunately I have seen that happen so many times to such good, hard-working people. If you don't have a skill that's always in demand, such as being a nurse or pharmacist for example, it's always wise to have an income stream coming in on the side. I work in network marketing full time now (even though I am an RN but I LOVE having my own business and being in total control of my life), but I have lots of friends that have a part-time business on the side of their "job" such as Mary Kay or Silpada or the company I am with. That way, not only do they bring in extra money, but if they do get laid off, they are ready to go in full swing with their other business. Plus it's lots of fun!

3xangel
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Shrug my shoulders and dedicate more time to working out. My dh makes enough to fully support us, my job is just extra savings.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
1wildchild
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Same here. We don't have 6 months of savings built up, hell we have no savings at the moment, but we're working on it slowly, very slowly... 

Quoting salamandersmom:

Yes, you should ALWAYS have a  back up plan.  Scary, isn't it?  I'm a SAHM.  If something happened, I couldn't even apply for unemployment.  I'd just plain be S.O.L.  They say you should have AT LEAST 6 months worth of wages saved up for an emergency.  We don't have that.  We live hand to mouth, paycheck to paycheck.  I'm currently pretty well broke until next Friday.  Not this Friday, the one 10 days from now. 

Jebekarue
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I understand completely, I was laid off Aug 31, and I got approved for 422.00 every 2 weeks yep no joke and I was paid weekly not bi weekly.  I don't know about your state but here we have to do 5 apps every week to keep that measly amount of money coming in. Don't get me wrong I am very greatful for it but still....

I have gotten a few phone calls and been on 1 interview and all told me sorry we can't pay you what your worth.  I find it harder and harder every week to find stuff to apply for.  I want to stick with what I am qualified for, but wouldn't mind trying something new, just not sales...I am not a sales person.  If we didn't need that 422 every 2 weeks I would seriously consider dropping it, hunt at my own pace and find something that I would really LIKE to do and possibly enjoy doing. 

Good luck

nurse1997
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Thats how unemployment works they alway hold back a week and that goes for every one  - They always pay you less  than you make back up plan yes its called saving LOL !!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)