Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

What would you do if you lost your job tomorrow?

Posted by   + Show Post

I got laid off last year from Liberty Mutual. I was making about 45k a year. I was approved for unemployment a measley $275 per week! That was the maximum!  I have been working for all these years and that is all I got! Then they had the nerve to hold back a week. With all the experience I have I still wasn't getting all the calls I exspected. About six months later  they decided to randomly review my claim, I went without pay for 5 weeks! That made me never soley depend on money from jobs, or the state! These days you have to have a back up plan.

by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
givenshl
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Savings until I find a new job.

tmsmomma
by New Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM
Id cry for a couple days then bust my buns to get a new one. I am the bread winner. Would not be good. Good luck hun!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LivinDeadGurl
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Quoting Kmakksmom:

I'm a SAHM, so that's not an issue.

Ditto

Amac29
by Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm doing it now and all I can say is shame on me and eviction in my near future. The job sucked, got no unemployment, body lost fight with gravity and no more assets to liquidate. I've left myself vulnerable on so many levels. Date richer men and save for the unexpected.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovegrandbaby
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Been looking for a job for the last 4 years.  Helped take care of elderly father b4 his passing.  I babysit, depending on her schedule, depends on pay.  She will be moving soon too.  Been looking online, going out and filling applications, sending resume's , even to minimum wage (cuz ya can live on that) jobs, cleaning jobs, cashier jobs, etc, all to no avail.  I have over 20 years experience in administrative/clerical/receptionist jobs (mostly in medical field), but the ads I have seen lately want a bachelors degree to be a receptionist, etc.  WTH is that all about.  I believe companies definately discriminate regarding age, appearance, education.  If I can't even get a cleaning job, that proves it to me.  And the fact that most companies only want to pay minimum wage, no benefits doesn't help.  My dh was "forced" to retire just after Thanksgiving last year, so he only brings less than half of his paycheck now.  He has found a part time job (15 hrs. per week), but that doesn't help.  We r at risk of losing house.  Already sold my motorcycle, and have someone looking to buy his this weekend.  Life sucks!  Employers don't care what happens to u as long as while u r working, you help make their money.  Everything keeps going up, but not paychecks, caring, etc.

Marz31
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:28 AM

DH was out of work for 13 months and thankfully made enough from UI to cover the bills altho we had to pull DD from daycare, which was a struggle in and of itself (looking for work is a full time job!). He was getting close to being out of his UI benefits when he finally found a new job. We were already thinking about what we were going to do, but basically, liquidate retirement to produce the income needed to pay the bills and then prepare the house for sale so we could at least save our credit and not be foreclosed on. It was seriously no fun to think about, not that we have a ton in retirement, but we're not getting any younger, so any steps backwards were not good. That's a REALLY lousy benefit amount you're getting. I hate that there are such low limits. you might as well get a minimum wage job and apply for public assistance instead, at least then when you find a new job, you don't have to explain why you didn't work for that period of time. 

We're working on paying off debt but I still hate having almost no savings so as soon as our mortgage refi goes thru, I'll be saving a little each paycheck so if we run into a problem, at least don't have to use credit cards. It's not pretty out there and bills stack up :(

I really hope you find something GREAT very soon! 

Thelmama
by Thelma on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:31 AM

hugs.  I am looking for a job. I haven't worked in 11 years due to being a sahm. Even with my degree, I am finding it challenging to find a job, that 1 works around my kid school schedules, and 2, in my field.

peacemom28
by Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:37 AM

If I lost my job I could find a new one. I only make 11 an hour so it wouldnt be that hard to find something else. BUT. I would cry. I love my job.

Malayahsmom06
by Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I was working full time last year until I started nursing school this year. My husband works, but its just enough to cover bills, no unneccessary spending. Its been a hard year.

bembem8x8
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I do not know.I like to be free to do things than housework.

--kizi--

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)