Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

What would you do if you lost your job tomorrow?

Posted by   + Show Post

I got laid off last year from Liberty Mutual. I was making about 45k a year. I was approved for unemployment a measley $275 per week! That was the maximum!  I have been working for all these years and that is all I got! Then they had the nerve to hold back a week. With all the experience I have I still wasn't getting all the calls I exspected. About six months later  they decided to randomly review my claim, I went without pay for 5 weeks! That made me never soley depend on money from jobs, or the state! These days you have to have a back up plan.

by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Replies (21-30):
calimom1123
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM
well I'm a sahm but my dh has been laid off twice in the last few years. The first time we lived off unemployment for about 2yrs. Then he got a good job only to get laid off after a year. That was in may. It stinks but what can you do. We manage to pay all our bills and don't qualify for any financial assistance. I guess unemployment is considered too much to make a month.lol..He was making 80k a year so it was an adjustment at first but we are doing it. We have never had any savings because we always had bills to pay with nothing left over. luckily when he got laid off the first time he got a severance of 20k which we used for paying off cars, credit cards and anything else. At least now we are debt free. I can't wait for him to get a job again its NOT fun!
brieri
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:42 PM

i cried the day they told me to leave - I told them not to look for me if they see me under a bridge. Guess what,they show up at my door a few weeks later asking me about something I never called about - should I call the office back and tell them the wrong doings they did? 

kimsardo
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I'm sorry you were laid off. man, that is tough.

boyobv1
by New Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Thanks for giving me the useful information. I think I need it. Thank you

Kizi | Kizi 1 | Kizi 2 | Kizi 3

sjump25
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Wow that sucks :/  I'm sorry.

If I lost my job it wouldn't be a big deal.  I work from home part time and really just bring in "extra" money.  Now if my hubby lost his job that would be a different story.  We'd probably be fine for a year or so before savings ran out, but hopefully he could find a job before that so we wouldn't have to use that.

Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:28 AM

My husband would have to go full time and we would burn up a lot of our savings to make up the difference in pay until I found something new. 

kizionline
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I have read this post and if I may just I desire to suggest you some interesting issues or tips. Perhaps you could write subsequent articles relating to this article.

EvilQueenMommy
by Cathy on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:53 AM

hugs

EvilQueenMommy
by Cathy on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I'd look for a new job asap

Marz31
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Well, DH has 2 more months at his current job, which he'll hit the one year mark in 3 weeks, so while it's not me losing my job, we've been in the situation of him losing his and it stinks. He spent all of 2011 out of work, 13 long months, he had UI the entire time, thankfully, and it was basically break even with pulling DD out of daycare, but that left no money for them to do very much and didn't give him much time search for a job, not that he wasn't, but the experts say if you're looking for a full time job, it should BE your full time job. This time around, because we refinanced our mortgage last month, we'll be able to keep DD in preschool, which will give him a few hours a day to dedicate to job hunting without having to tend to a 4year old too. and who knows what the next 2 months will bring, with any luck, he'll have something. BUT if he doesn't find something and his UI runs out, liquidate retirement (his first since he's the one out of work) and then move to mine. oh and a part time job in the evenings and on weekends if UI has run out. It's the same backup plan we had if he didn't find a job before.....thankfully he'll get a retention bonus that we'll sock away, even with our bills, we NEED to have money in savings....later down the line, if all was liquidated, we'd abandon our condo and move into a smaller place and try to see if SAHD would work....plenty of people think we should have moved last time, but I make more than him, work for a stable and wonderful company and we love where we live and generally live within our means (we've changed our ways from a number of years ago, getting rid of our debt, not adding to it).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN