Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Surprised

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:49 PM
  • 44 Replies

So, as many of you know, we had ds1's party at our house this weekend.

In planning the food/drink, I had dh grab a case of Coke along with water for the adults who chose to stay.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think the kids would be taking the sodas!

These kids are mostly 7 years old (with I think 2 recently turned 8 year olds). 

WOW!  My 8 year old has still never had soda - I was shocked!

Would you expect that?

(And no - I didn't say anything - it was obvious they were permitted to drink soda - so not my kid, not my problem mentality was in place for me).

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Laylas-momma
by Chia on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM
My cousin would put soda in his kids sippy when he was younger. I'll admit, I give Layla a tint tiny bit (she's 2) but I usually water it down quite a bit. (Please don't judge me)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sjump25
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I see lots of kids drinking soda regularly.  My neice and nephew are allowed Mountain Dew... MOUNTAIN DEW!  And they drink tea like my kids drink milk.  My kids have had soda a couple of times, but definitely don't drink it regularly.  My 6 year old went to a party once and all they offered was Sprite and Dr. Pepper.  The lady asked him if he wanted Dr. Pepper and he looked over at me.. I didn't have to say anything and he turned back to her and said "No thanks"  I was proud :)  

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:11 PM

My son and I talked about it afterwards - he thought it was just bizarre.  Love my kiddo!

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:30 AM

My kids can have a caffeine free drink for special occasions, NOT everyday.

calimom1123
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM
We go to parties all the time. I see kids drinking soda all the time. I thought we were strange because dd doesnt drink it. I hate when the only option is soda! Ive learned to take our own water with us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Thankfully we have never run into a "soda only" party - yikes!  Ds would NOT be happy with that - and neither would I!

Quoting calimom1123:

We go to parties all the time. I see kids drinking soda all the time. I thought we were strange because dd doesnt drink it. I hate when the only option is soda! Ive learned to take our own water with us.

the4mutts
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Umm, what kid HASN'T had soda by age 8?
My kids ages 3, 4, 6, & 9 have all had soda. Its typically at bday parties & special family bbqs that they're allowed. But why on earth is it suprising to you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Laylas-momma
by Chia on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this
My parents bought us a Coke once in a while til we were old enough to buy it ourselves
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlyssaN
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:25 AM
My stepkids mom let them drink mt dew at a young age. When I found out, I was floored. The youngest ones are 9 and have an occasional non caffeine soda. It's a rare treat for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:42 AM
Quoting the4mutts:Umm, what kid HASN'T had soda by age 8?
My kids ages 3, 4, 6, & 9 have all had soda. Its typically at bday parties & special family bbqs that they're allowed. But why on earth is it suprising to you?

Unmm - my kid?

None of his close friends he hangs with drink soda. I have also not seen children drink it at birthday parties before, so it was surprising to see thr kids take it out of thr adult cooler. (which just had water and coke). I had a cooler for thr kids with water and juice boxes.

My 4 year old has also never had soda either.

A couple of the moms were shocked.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)