Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

So, as many of you know, we had ds1's party at our house this weekend.

In planning the food/drink, I had dh grab a case of Coke along with water for the adults who chose to stay.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think the kids would be taking the sodas!

These kids are mostly 7 years old (with I think 2 recently turned 8 year olds). 

WOW!  My 8 year old has still never had soda - I was shocked!

Would you expect that?

(And no - I didn't say anything - it was obvious they were permitted to drink soda - so not my kid, not my problem mentality was in place for me).

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Replies (11-20):
the4mutts
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:25 PM
Its your kid to parent how you want, but I'm more shocked that YOU'RE so shocked that kids are allowed to have soda. Its not like having soda makes them damned to hell. Its just a drink that some people have more than others, but it certainly won't kill a kid to drink it.
I'm more surpised by 5yr olds drinking from a baby bottle than I am by a kid getting a soda.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:37 PM

I never said it was the end of the word - but NONE of my son's friends drink it, so I had not realized some kids had started.

My son has a pretty big bunch of friends who we get together with, meet out for lunch, etc...

Just hasn't ever come up.

I know my son won't be having any anytime soon - and I don't care what others do - but I have never seen kids drinking soda at a party before, so I was surprised.

Quoting the4mutts:

Its your kid to parent how you want, but I'm more shocked that YOU'RE so shocked that kids are allowed to have soda. Its not like having soda makes them damned to hell. Its just a drink that some people have more than others, but it certainly won't kill a kid to drink it.
I'm more surpised by 5yr olds drinking from a baby bottle than I am by a kid getting a soda.

sjump25
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Soda is terrible for anyone, but especially a kid.  It rots your teeth and is packed with sugar that kids do not need.  That's why kids shouldn't have it.  It's not shocking to me to see kids drinking soda because unfortuntely I see it all the time, but my kids are not allowed soda.  I do that for their health.

Quoting the4mutts:

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Something I learned a few years ago that surprised me is that the caffeine free clear sodas (like 7up) are substantially worse for your teeth than cola type (like Coke).

So - parents think they are being wise by going to the clear sodas - but you trade the caffeing out for increased teeth damage?  Eh - no thanks!  :)

Quoting sjump25:

Soda is terrible for anyone, but especially a kid.  It rots your teeth and is packed with sugar that kids do not need.  That's why kids shouldn't have it.  It's not shocking to me to see kids drinking soda because unfortuntely I see it all the time, but my kids are not allowed soda.  I do that for their health.

Quoting the4mutts:

sherry132
by Sherry on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM

My kids drank soda, and by the time they were that age, they would have easily grabbed a soda, unless told otherwise. 

But we are a military family, I've been very surprised at how differently people raise their children in the civilian world. 

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:57 PM

How so?  I'd be curious to hear about the differences you have noticed!

Quoting sherry132:

My kids drank soda, and by the time they were that age, they would have easily grabbed a soda, unless told otherwise. 

But we are a military family, I've been very surprised at how differently people raise their children in the civilian world. 

jazzgirl205
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM

When dd was little all the children had soda at their birthday parties.  It was a special treat they don't usually get at home.  Like the overly sweet cake.

We have the liberty to be shocked at whatever we please.  I'm still shocked by children who don't say sir and ma'am or call adults by their first name.  Some adults are shocked at my family because we let children over the age of 7 drink small amounts of wine at big family dinners.  We've probably been doing that for 1000 yrs.

sherry132
by Sherry on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Living on Military posts, I noticed that things were very much like they were when I was a child. Children played outside. There were lots of playgrounds, a few skate parks, dances at the schools, children in school were taken on field trips, parents could still hold teachers accountable and the teachers knew that if the parents didn't act responsibly, command was there to help the teachers. They had bonfires and the sidewalk is always full of happy children on halloween. Children know that bad things happen, they know soldiers go to war and die, therefore they are not coddled. Video games or cartoons with mild violence are permitted.

In the "real" world, no one trick or treats, the schools don't have dances or very few if they do have them, the teachers have a chip on their shoulders and roll their eyes at parents using the police to discipline unruly children, children are overly protected, cartoons, video games and even death are shielded, only happy things are taught. Everyone makes the team (not so in a DoDea setting), no school has a bonfire, Christmas doesn't have Santa Claus...

Lord I could go on and on. Basically, the difference is, military communities are largely 50 years ago living in today. Whereas the civilian world is one of protecting kids, coddling them, not allowing them to do things that we took for granted as children. It's very different, and at times, I find it stiffling. There are so many things in this life that will be bad, will kill you, might cause cancer, might rot your teeth, might do whatever the latest fear is. Parents today are just too damn worried about everything. 

Also, in saying all of this, there are many many military families who will disagree with what I have said. They will say they are military and they do this or that or whatever. This was talking about the overall feeling on post, not every single military family, I went to several (about 6 Army posts) there could be differences on other military installations I know nothing about. 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting sherry132:

nerd.stuff
by New Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM
My little brother will be 16 in a week. He has never had soda. He's a milk, juice, and Capri sun type of kid
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nerd.stuff
by New Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:27 PM
I agree. I grew up with the military in my life. We lived in military housing. It was FANTASTIC. I played outside from the minute I woke up until the street lights came on. There were tons of parks and basketball courts. We often used a basket ball court as an area to play hockey. When we left navy housing for a subdivision... One park, one basketball court. Two miles from the house. Less playing outside.

Quoting sherry132:

Living on Military posts, I noticed that things were very much like they were when I was a child. Children played outside. There were lots of playgrounds, a few skate parks, dances at the schools, children in school were taken on field trips, parents could still hold teachers accountable and the teachers knew that if the parents didn't act responsibly, command was there to help the teachers. They had bonfires and the sidewalk is always full of happy children on halloween. Children know that bad things happen, they know soldiers go to war and die, therefore they are not coddled. Video games or cartoons with mild violence are permitted.

In the "real" world, no one trick or treats, the schools don't have dances or very few if they do have them, the teachers have a chip on their shoulders and roll their eyes at parents using the police to discipline unruly children, children are overly protected, cartoons, video games and even death are shielded, only happy things are taught. Everyone makes the team (not so in a DoDea setting), no school has a bonfire, Christmas doesn't have Santa Claus...

Lord I could go on and on. Basically, the difference is, military communities are largely 50 years ago living in today. Whereas the civilian world is one of protecting kids, coddling them, not allowing them to do things that we took for granted as children. It's very different, and at times, I find it stiffling. There are so many things in this life that will be bad, will kill you, might cause cancer, might rot your teeth, might do whatever the latest fear is. Parents today are just too damn worried about everything. 

Also, in saying all of this, there are many many military families who will disagree with what I have said. They will say they are military and they do this or that or whatever. This was talking about the overall feeling on post, not every single military family, I went to several (about 6 Army posts) there could be differences on other military installations I know nothing about. 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting sherry132:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)