Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So, as many of you know, we had ds1's party at our house this weekend.

In planning the food/drink, I had dh grab a case of Coke along with water for the adults who chose to stay.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think the kids would be taking the sodas!

These kids are mostly 7 years old (with I think 2 recently turned 8 year olds). 

WOW!  My 8 year old has still never had soda - I was shocked!

Would you expect that?

(And no - I didn't say anything - it was obvious they were permitted to drink soda - so not my kid, not my problem mentality was in place for me).

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Replies (31-40):
salamandersmom
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I have noticed this, too.  I call this stuff a "rite of passage" beverage.   When my parents were kids, soda was a very rare treat (in the 40s and 50s), not an every day thing.  For them, it was COFFEE that was the real treat,the "rite of passage" beverage... Mom says she felt like a real hot shot when she went to her Grandma's house, and Grandma would let her have a cup of coffee.  She laughs and says there was so much milk in it that you really shouldn't call it coffee, but she thought it was great anyway, because her Mom didn't let her have it.  Fast forward to my childhood... I never had coffee, it was for the grown ups, and soda was still a pretty rare treat.  (back then, you got individual sodas in GLASS BOTTLES.  Hmmm.  tells you that I'm gettin' up there in years, doesn't it??  Well, fast forward some more.  When I was a young woman, deemed "old enough" for coffee, (in the 80s), I noticed that things were changing.  It seemed like very few young people were drinking coffee, and most young people were instead drinking coke or pepsi for their  caffine jolt. And, that's just what I did...  I used to get out of bed, and pop the top on a Coke... I don't drink coke anymore, too rough on my teeth.  But, I still drink way more soda pop than I should.  And never did develop the taste for coffee... and the same with my kids. 

Thelmama
by Thelma on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:12 PM

My kids drink soda within moderation. They drink other stuff too.  

Thelmama
by Thelma on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Oh and my kids would probably assume the soda was for everyone unless told otherwise.  Not to be rude, but because beverages at a party are assumed to be for everyone around here.  

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Quoting Thelmama:

Oh and my kids would probably assume the soda was for everyone unless told otherwise.  Not to be rude, but because beverages at a party are assumed to be for everyone around here.  

I did not say anything to the kids drinking it.

It was in a separate cooler from where we were directing thr kids for drinks, but it is not like I stopped them or accosted them - I was just quietly shocked.

When dh and I got food/drink, we were thinking water and juice boxes for the kids, soda and water for adults.

We were just out to dinner with another family tonight. I asked if her kids (8 and 5) drink soda and she said no - they stick with water, milk or sometimes juice. So I'm not the only one... :)
Clubpenguin
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this
At my sons last party the kids who came guzzled the soda so quickly I was surprised too
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Kids will always take the soda!

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Quoting Clubpenguin:

At my sons last party the kids who came guzzled the soda so quickly I was surprised too

They sure do!

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:51 PM
At 8 I would expect kids to have soda at birthday parties from probably around 5-6ish. Now my 6 yr old is only allowed it a few times a year during special occasions a birthday party (most only serve soda) or a holiday party at someone elses home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:10 AM
Quoting fullxbusymom:At 8 I would expect kids to have soda at birthday parties from probably around 5-6ish. Now my 6 yr old is only allowed it a few times a year during special occasions a birthday party (most only serve soda) or a holiday party at someone elses home.

We have parties every year for the boys and thIs is the first one where a child ever drank a soda. Typically thr birthday parties he attends still just have juice for kids. Guess we run in very wholesome, nutritious circles! Lol! :). We were over a different friends house last night -she has an almost 9 year old and a 4 yea old - due to this post I asked about their soda habits for their kids. She said thr kids have never asked or had soda and that there were no plans to change it.

I can see it being a special treat like you stated.
md_1015
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:04 AM
My sd10 gets soda but nor a lot and usually only of we go out to eat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)