Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Field trips with no buses

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:17 PM
  • 31 Replies

My son's elementary school has for, as long as I remember, heavily relied on parent drivers instead of buses for field trips.

The cost of the buses is quite high and typically doubles the cost of about any field trip.

I get that - and appreciate being mindful of parent budgets...

BUT - no way do I let my son go with just any stranger...

Dh and I usually have been lucky and able to finagle one of us going on at least 1 field trip a year each- and for any other field trips - I always find out what other parent I am friends with who is driving and contact to the teacher to make sure ds rides with a trusted friend, in his booster.  No way ds is riding with strangers - sadly - I have seen too much to be comfortable with that.

How would you feel about your child going with parent drivers for a field trip?

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:32 AM

As long as I trust the other parent driving, I'm okay.

mom2priceboys
by Julie on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM

we too are parent drivers except for one year when we didn't have the right insurance. Now in middle and high school there are not so many field trips :(

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:16 AM

It wouldn't happen.  When my youngest dd was in young 5s they were planning a field trip and there were only 15 kids in her class and they didn't need a bus for a small amount of kids.  usually it's the whole grade that will go that's why they would need buses but this class being the only grade level they didn't need a bus, anyways the teacher and student teacher were driving along with 2 other parents and one of the request was EVERY child had to have a booster seat provided or the child can't attend.  I liked that.  Also I made sure my dd and my niece rode with either the teacher or the aide.

kimsardo
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I'd probably drive my own child. Even if I knew the other people.

Nolanzo
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Nobody will drive my kid but me. Just not somthing I'm comfortable with.... you truly NEVER know if someone might be on xanax or whatevr... even a parent you may be familiar with or think u can trust.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lavenderrose5
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:10 PM
Government is putting too much tax cuts on our schools.
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I'm confused though - what wouldn't happen?  Having your child go with other parents?

I am only willing to let my son go with parents I am already friends with...

We live in one of the ONLY states with no booster laws.  There will be VERY few boosters in use that day - that I can assure you.

Of course, my ds1 will be in one though!

Quoting hayliedlr:

It wouldn't happen.  When my youngest dd was in young 5s they were planning a field trip and there were only 15 kids in her class and they didn't need a bus for a small amount of kids.  usually it's the whole grade that will go that's why they would need buses but this class being the only grade level they didn't need a bus, anyways the teacher and student teacher were driving along with 2 other parents and one of the request was EVERY child had to have a booster seat provided or the child can't attend.  I liked that.  Also I made sure my dd and my niece rode with either the teacher or the aide.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Dh and I both work - so while we go on some trips - we definitely can't be on them all.

Thankfully - I am friends with lots of parents in his class who I trust for the ones we don't go on.

Additionally - they really like to "spread the wealth" and have different parent chaperone the trips - so they ask for people to let others attend sometimes.

Quoting kimsardo:

I'd probably drive my own child. Even if I knew the other people.

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Thankfully, I'm not just "friendly" with a bunch of parents in the class -we are actually friends and there are ones I do trust. 

We take turns dropping off and picking up for parties, have each other's child over for playdates and hang out ourselves with and without kids.

Quoting Nolanzo:

Nobody will drive my kid but me. Just not somthing I'm comfortable with.... you truly NEVER know if someone might be on xanax or whatevr... even a parent you may be familiar with or think u can trust.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:53 PM

sorry should have clarified.  I wouldn't let my kids go with just anyone

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I'm confused though - what wouldn't happen?  Having your child go with other parents?

I am only willing to let my son go with parents I am already friends with...

We live in one of the ONLY states with no booster laws.  There will be VERY few boosters in use that day - that I can assure you.

Of course, my ds1 will be in one though!

Quoting hayliedlr:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN