Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Field trips with no buses

Posted by   + Show Post

My son's elementary school has for, as long as I remember, heavily relied on parent drivers instead of buses for field trips.

The cost of the buses is quite high and typically doubles the cost of about any field trip.

I get that - and appreciate being mindful of parent budgets...

BUT - no way do I let my son go with just any stranger...

Dh and I usually have been lucky and able to finagle one of us going on at least 1 field trip a year each- and for any other field trips - I always find out what other parent I am friends with who is driving and contact to the teacher to make sure ds rides with a trusted friend, in his booster.  No way ds is riding with strangers - sadly - I have seen too much to be comfortable with that.

How would you feel about your child going with parent drivers for a field trip?

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Replies (31-31):
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Quoting fullxbusymom:

I'm sure for some that is why they don't /can't drive, but I am more surprised parents don't object to that practice. (and based on reactions in this thread, it seems like that is not an uncommon response).

When I speak to other parents, they seem to view it as no big deal.

I will say that when dh and I drive, ds1 gets so excited to bring his friend... It is cute to hear their little conversations, see their excitement about the trip, etc.... So it is nice to have those times... But...

I'd still prefer them all on a bus... :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN