Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Do your kids remember things?

Posted by   + Show Post

My six year old remembers EVERYTHING from the time she was one up to now. She can't tell you what she had for lunch yesterday at school but she can tell you something that happened back when she was just learning to walk, in full detail. Things we haven't really told her about. 

She can describe the house we lived in from the time she was 18 months until she was almost three. We haven't been back to that house since we moved, nor do we have pictures of it anywhere. 

She will out of the blue come up with something, a true event that happened, that is never mentioned, and tell us about it. Like her third birthday party, which I've forgotten most details of myself, she'll talk about. She'll remember what she has been for Halloween every year since she was born (the first two halloweens' she's asked about her costume, but after that, she knows)

DH can't remember anything before turning 8. No specific childhood memories or anything. I can only remember things I've heard stories about or seen pictures of, so it's surprising to me that she can tell so many stories and give so much specific detail about things she shouldn't know a lot about. Her sister isn't the same way, she'll remember a few things that happened last year or the year before, but not a lot (she's turning 5 next month). 

DD has been called a "genius" by every teacher she's ever had, and is advanced for her class, but I guess she has one of those excellent memories as well.

ETA: She also makes up far fetched stories, her imagination is fantastic. Every story begins with "when i was a little baby, you took me to the moon" or "when i was 3 and sister was 2, we went to china". Things that have never happened (especially the moon part lol).

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Replies (11-20):
Sammi20
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this

lol that is awesome start teaching her a second language! She will be a fast learner!

SarahlovesLiz
by New Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:50 AM

SD 6 does this, too.  She is also incredibly smart like DH is.  She remembers when we used to joke about painting the ponies in the pastures on the ride here pink.  lol  It usually takes us a minute to remember what she has remembered!! 

HisMommy4Ever
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:57 AM

I find that hard to believe. How can she remember things from when she was 2. That's pretty cool though. I can only remember back when I was 5. Lol....I don't remember ANYTHING from when I was smaller. My son is 3 now so who knows if he'll remember any of this when he's like 6 or so. But he does have a good memory of things that happened months ago or a couple weeks ago which I find so interesting cuz he will talk to me in detail about what happened and make hand gestures lol. He's good at remembering shows and commercials....And he's remembering songs now so he sings them...its so cute. I don't know if you have ever heard this song but it's called "Dear Mr. Jesus" (it's a song about child abuse but since a little girl sings it my son likes that song and he knows some of the lyrics...he's only sang it once though cuz he got shy) it was so cute though....

Goodwoman614
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:03 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthymesia
Ballad
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:30 AM

My first memory is from when I was three or four years old.  I remember that I had wet my pants.  I don't recall if I told my mother or if she discovered it on her own.  I don't remember her hitting me.  But we had started out in the kitchen, and I vividly recall being airborne and landing face down on the linoleum floor in the middle of the adjoining playroom.  I remember that I didn't cry.  I just lay there for a few moments and thought, "Wow!  The world tipped over."  To this day, when I get stressed out or something upsetting happens, I feel dizzy, as if the world is tipping over and the floor is rushing up to meet me.  What we do to our kids, good or bad, stays with them.

Uhura
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Some people do, some people don't, and it may fade with age. My earliest memory is when I fell backwards off my slide in the rain and busted my arm, I was two. I don't remember it completely, but I do remember the feeling of falling backwards and I only ever fell off that slide once.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

robynlo77
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Our daughter is almost 9, and she remember EVERYTHING. It amazes me sometimes, cause she will start telling us some story, of when she was really little...it will take a long time, some times, before I remember what she is talking about. LOL

I can remember certain things, from the time I was 5 and up...but not like the great memory our daughter has.

mom_to_kenzie
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:50 AM
Bump to come back too. Too tired to think right now!
Ultra_
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:55 AM

How odd. I was just talking about this with my husband about our 8 year old. She is exactly the same way as you said. I am the same way as well. I have an eidetic memory, so I guess that's why. It's not just photographs in my head though. It's scents and feelings to my very core. I can almost relive it completely.

corrinacs
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:15 AM

My son is thes ame way.

Once when hew as 3 or 4, he asked for his turtle car.  He was bent out of shape because we didn't know what he was talking about, but he wanted his turtle car.  He finally said "the turtle car I had as a baby".

Then it dawned on me.  He wanted his turtle car he had when he was an INFANT.  I put that thing away when he was like 1 because he got too big for it!

So, I know the feeling.  Caden knows a lot of things and he picks up on things so easily.  He was speaking full sentences before he was 2.  He taught himself how to read (at late 4) in one night.  He went from not hardly reading to sounding out words now.  He's good with math, I think that's his strong point.  He's been doing addition and subtraction for a while, and I just taught him fractions.  He's only in K.

Yes, and gifted chidrne's imaginations are wild LOL.  Caden's are no different.  He's really goofy with his funny stories LOL.

But, as much as its a great thing ot see them grow, its really hard for htem to adjust in school, especially if the teachers don't "notice" or "care".  Then the apathy sets in and then the teachers think they aren't smart because they don't do the work.

Good luck :).  The best you can do is advocate to your child and really focus on academics.  Make sure they are challenged and if you start to notice them trailing, speak to the teacher about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)