Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do your kids remember things?

Posted by   + Show Post

My six year old remembers EVERYTHING from the time she was one up to now. She can't tell you what she had for lunch yesterday at school but she can tell you something that happened back when she was just learning to walk, in full detail. Things we haven't really told her about. 

She can describe the house we lived in from the time she was 18 months until she was almost three. We haven't been back to that house since we moved, nor do we have pictures of it anywhere. 

She will out of the blue come up with something, a true event that happened, that is never mentioned, and tell us about it. Like her third birthday party, which I've forgotten most details of myself, she'll talk about. She'll remember what she has been for Halloween every year since she was born (the first two halloweens' she's asked about her costume, but after that, she knows)

DH can't remember anything before turning 8. No specific childhood memories or anything. I can only remember things I've heard stories about or seen pictures of, so it's surprising to me that she can tell so many stories and give so much specific detail about things she shouldn't know a lot about. Her sister isn't the same way, she'll remember a few things that happened last year or the year before, but not a lot (she's turning 5 next month). 

DD has been called a "genius" by every teacher she's ever had, and is advanced for her class, but I guess she has one of those excellent memories as well.

ETA: She also makes up far fetched stories, her imagination is fantastic. Every story begins with "when i was a little baby, you took me to the moon" or "when i was 3 and sister was 2, we went to china". Things that have never happened (especially the moon part lol).

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Replies (21-30):
SheltieMommy
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

In my early twenties I described a place I thought I used to stay to my parents.  Their jaws dropped and they told me that I was describing the home daycare I went to when I was a baby.  I quit going there at 9 months old.

It sounds like you have a special girl.  :-)

luvmylilbean
by New Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I don't have many memories until around mid-elementary school age, but I have 1 memory that is very specific from when I was around a year old. I remember 'talking' to another baby my age while we were both in our little floaty things in a pool. Our moms were talking and we were 'talking.' It's so weird to me, and I know I didn't imagine it because I found a picture a while back of me and another baby in a pool in our floaty seat with our moms. So strange. My daughter is only 1.

ameliacaldeira
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM

i can remember my 2nd birthday VERY well. i remember most things from 5 and older but i remember ALOT of my mom being pregnant with my brother- who is my only younger sibling and is only about 2 yrs younger than me. 
i was always told that there was no way i could ACUALLY remember all these things but i can, my parents and relitives have quized me since i was a kid about things they think i COULDNT remember but had details of- some of which they had to check with eachother about because photos dont exist. we didnt have alot of money growing up so very little exists from then.

some kids have really got it.

but i didnt do well in school- i was great at writing, but not at spelling- i failed almost every math class ie ever taken and skidded thru science. So if your daughter has skills at school- INCOURAGE THAT! :) be very proud of you little one and be careful what you say around her, cause i remember shit talking m y aunts did around me from 20yrs ago about people i dont really know, but if they bring up the name i can recall the stuff. LOL 

ameliacaldeira
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:13 AM

this was an interesting read. I didnt do exceptional in school as far as memerizaton is concerned, When i was very young i couldnt handle unautherized disterbance of my enviroment(like my mom cleaning my room by rearranging everything, throwing things away and painting my wall and furniture without telling me threw me into fits) and i do have a tendancy to keep things. I have been working on that for awhile and am doing pretty well compared to when i was very young. I still have some junk laying around but its not useless like it was, notebooks, books i repeatedly read, movies i like, tons of clothes in my closets- stuff like that.

but im not left handed, though i was told once when i was a baby i favored my left hand until it was injured by an older sibling (THAT i dont remember) and i have terriable hand writting LOL

very interesting THANKS!

Quoting Goodwoman614:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthymesia

Des10ed2b
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:13 AM

i can remember as far back as 2. i can remember my mom being pregnant with my brother, and he was born about a month and a half before i turned 3.

i can remember our house that we lived in there, even though we moved into my childhood come the week that i turned 4 (and i remember that because we didnt have time to throw a party and i just sat in our driveway opening my presents with the few neighbor kids).

i remember my pre-school class before that and having the teacher read us green eggs and ham and then making us scrambled eggs with green food coloring. 

i remember being in K class and having tyler clear tell us that it was not elemeno in our abc's, it was L, M, N, O and thinking he was so SMART. 

i remember going in for surgery for tubes when i was 5 and then letting me pick out a scented gas-mask to fall asleep with. i wanted strawberry. then they didnt have strawberry and i was all kinds of irritated that i had to settle for cherry!

i have tons of memories from being very very young and remember all my teacher all the way up to middle school when i started having so many different ones for different subjects. 

my husband thinks im insane. he cant really remember anything before he was 10. 

dilateyourmind
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Very typical. My daughter lost those early memories from 1st to 2nd grade. The brain is a fascinating organ. Left brain, right brain study should be done by ALL. Also brain development. Ages and stages.

I think my earliest memories are about the age of 4.

Greekmama21
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I can remember an ice cold bath to break a fever in the hospital when I was one. No joke, I remember the GREEN tub and mentioned it to my mom when I was fourteen. They didn't have pictures and forgot about it, funny thing- I thought I was three at the time and they said I was one because it was the only time I was hospitalized (second Christmas!) 

DD can remember the most random of details as well. 

ChicMommy06
by New Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:46 AM
I have a lot of memories from when I was 2 and on. You know how we as parents say "oh well he won't remember this"? Big mistake around my son. The other day we were cleaning out the storage closet because we are moving and he picked up a handmade bear that he has never played with and said "mommy I got this when I was in the hospital, when I got my booboo" and he lifts up his shirt to show me his scar. He's 5 years old and that surgery was from when he was 2. He does it all the time. It's so weird.
MockingJay
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:18 PM

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504803_162-20026088-10391709.html

Maybe she has some variation of this. 

minecraft
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Ever since about 2 my daughter brought up past things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)