Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Do your kids remember things?

Posted by   + Show Post

My six year old remembers EVERYTHING from the time she was one up to now. She can't tell you what she had for lunch yesterday at school but she can tell you something that happened back when she was just learning to walk, in full detail. Things we haven't really told her about. 

She can describe the house we lived in from the time she was 18 months until she was almost three. We haven't been back to that house since we moved, nor do we have pictures of it anywhere. 

She will out of the blue come up with something, a true event that happened, that is never mentioned, and tell us about it. Like her third birthday party, which I've forgotten most details of myself, she'll talk about. She'll remember what she has been for Halloween every year since she was born (the first two halloweens' she's asked about her costume, but after that, she knows)

DH can't remember anything before turning 8. No specific childhood memories or anything. I can only remember things I've heard stories about or seen pictures of, so it's surprising to me that she can tell so many stories and give so much specific detail about things she shouldn't know a lot about. Her sister isn't the same way, she'll remember a few things that happened last year or the year before, but not a lot (she's turning 5 next month). 

DD has been called a "genius" by every teacher she's ever had, and is advanced for her class, but I guess she has one of those excellent memories as well.

ETA: She also makes up far fetched stories, her imagination is fantastic. Every story begins with "when i was a little baby, you took me to the moon" or "when i was 3 and sister was 2, we went to china". Things that have never happened (especially the moon part lol).

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Replies (31-40):
TigressLily
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I am 22 and can remember some things from when I was 18 months, 2 years, 3 years etc... My DD is only 13 months so she can't tell me what she remembers just yet but we'll see =D

ZsMommy
Hungry for everything that's not in the house right now.
Tuesday at 3:39 PM
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:15 PM

From my own experience I have a fantastic long term memory and horrorible short term. I can tell you childhood back to about age 3 but ask me something that took place a day or two ago- andI have the "Homer Simpson Duh" look at times...Ask me a week later and I'll remember-it's like it needs to sink in first.

LoveMyTrio
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:48 PM

My daughter does this also.  She remembers things that boggle my mind.  She also has been known to embellish details of things that did happen, but she can give pretty vivid descriptions of things that happened when she was very young. I don't remember too much before age 3 myself.

elijahXmom
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:42 PM

It happens just depends on your childhood/life. Your mind will only let you go back as far as your mind feels safe going to. Sounds like you and your husband have been doing a good job.

ilovemykids732
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I remember things from when I was one and older... :)

JessieG978
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:39 PM

My dd remembers everything in exact detail.

January1964
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Oh, yes. My daughter is 3 and a half. She talks about things that happened when she was much younger. She recalls things that happened a year ago in great detail. It's funny, I didn't think she remembered such things.

laughingsqua125
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM

yes they remember thing s ive forgotten over the yearsembarrassedblank stare

SparklingHope
by Melissa on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:43 PM

My son has a pretty good memory and has no problem holding adults accountable for what they said. lol. He also has a crazy imagination too. <3 him. :)

Pumpkinbean
by New Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:14 PM
My dd remembers everything ...right down to what she was wearing. She is ten now and she will often ask, "mommy remember that day at the park when I was two and I had that pink shirt on, and I was playing on the slide...?"
I'm like....uh, no?! But go ahead... Idk how she remembers that kind of stuff & can't pass math!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)