Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Do your kids remember things?

Posted by   + Show Post

My six year old remembers EVERYTHING from the time she was one up to now. She can't tell you what she had for lunch yesterday at school but she can tell you something that happened back when she was just learning to walk, in full detail. Things we haven't really told her about. 

She can describe the house we lived in from the time she was 18 months until she was almost three. We haven't been back to that house since we moved, nor do we have pictures of it anywhere. 

She will out of the blue come up with something, a true event that happened, that is never mentioned, and tell us about it. Like her third birthday party, which I've forgotten most details of myself, she'll talk about. She'll remember what she has been for Halloween every year since she was born (the first two halloweens' she's asked about her costume, but after that, she knows)

DH can't remember anything before turning 8. No specific childhood memories or anything. I can only remember things I've heard stories about or seen pictures of, so it's surprising to me that she can tell so many stories and give so much specific detail about things she shouldn't know a lot about. Her sister isn't the same way, she'll remember a few things that happened last year or the year before, but not a lot (she's turning 5 next month). 

DD has been called a "genius" by every teacher she's ever had, and is advanced for her class, but I guess she has one of those excellent memories as well.

ETA: She also makes up far fetched stories, her imagination is fantastic. Every story begins with "when i was a little baby, you took me to the moon" or "when i was 3 and sister was 2, we went to china". Things that have never happened (especially the moon part lol).

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Replies (41-50):
beachbeauty
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:21 PM

My dd is 16 now and she remembers things she reads and hears vividly, she never has to be taught something more than once, but she doesn't remember personal experiences very well.  We've travelled all over the U.S. and she remembers things she learned at different places like learning about volcanos at Mt. St. Helens, but she may not remember actually hiking there. She is very bright and a straight A honors student, but was never considered gifted.

My ds that is 15 now is also straight A honors student and gifted.  The difference is how he figures things out.  He doesn't have quite the same memory as she does, he remembers things that have to do with numbers and facts that interest him, but he also remembers experiences.

Personally I remember bits and pieces, I can recall things from as far back as 2 years old, just one or two things that I remember seeing or feeling a certain way when something happened, like sitting in a high chair while my grandparents were visiting or panicking when my Mom and Dad left me with a sitter while they went bowling.

rashmin
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:22 PM

hmmm... I'd have her tested... That's extraordinary!  I've also heard that the far-fetched stories are memories of past life!  Indeed, she could have an extremely deep and photographic memory!

aarensmommy
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:32 PM

my son who is 5 also amazes me with things he remembers!1 like when he got a certain toy for which birthday or Christmas, he remembers visiting his brother in the hospital like everything....he makes up stories for sure...the other day he told me when he turns 24 he is going to visit "the wall in china" where does he get this?!? lol he is funny to listen to sometimes

Baggy927
by New Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:37 PM

My son is 11 & has Aspergers. He is high functioning & mostly only has the social & no filter troubles associated with it. On the other hand he has a photographic memory. He has won every spelling bee he has been in (6). He loves to read & read & read. National geographic he reads cover to cover when it comes in the mail. He remembers it ALL! He will just say the most random facts at the most random times it's crazy! I am ashamed & proud to say that my 11 year old knows more right now than I do, he could run circles around me academically. I won't tell him this however, don't want him to think he rules the roost lol. I do hope one day he wins his Mommy a lot of $ on Jeopardy though lol.

momofkandb
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM

My 4yo dd has a wonderful memory.  She remembers EVERYTHING!  Which is sometimes not the best thing!!!

paige2009
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM
My son remembers being born. He remembers the color of scrubs the nurses were wearing, where the light was located, who was there, and even that the sun was shining. He rembered his first bath including the color of the tub, but only with his daddy, he doesn't recall there being anyone else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Velany
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:55 PM

DS remembers certain things but not always it really depends on the topic for him...or the event.

denisepeace
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Ahhh...you are a blessed mom!  My daughter was like that.  I looked into it. There's a name for it but it escapes me this minute. My little girl would say "Mom, don't you remember when...bla, bla, bla. I was wearing my blue shorts with the rainbow on the pocket and my orange shirt with the smile on it.  Well, I learned to say "How old were you?" and she would then say 5.  She would be 10 when telling me this.

These children are intrinically motivated. My daughter is extremly disciplined. I never have to tell her to do her homework, and in third grade I stopped looking at her school work. The school put her in geometry then and used her as a math tutor for the other children.

I put her in a charter school for 6,7, and 8th because they taught the children to their abilities. The principles said something to me about her and I just told them that she has been tutoring since 3rd grade and just use her as a tutor when she gets through her work. One time while I was signing her out of school, the principle called out to her and said "Hey Autumn, I heard you finished your reading for the year!"  We were in the 3rd month of school.....I looked at her and she just smiled and said Yeah!  We went outside and I said "You finished your reading for the year?" She said mom, I thought we were supposed to read one book a week, not one book a month. After this her principle talked with me and we just agreed to push her forward so she wouldn't be bored.

Well, now she's in HS. Her first day she was crying, so scared. Apparently she was put in 11th grade classes. I asked "Do the kids know your a 9th grader?" She said no...they think I'm in 11th. I said, good, just let them keep thinking that.  Well, on her birthday, she wore a T-Shirt to school that she painted the following words....Today is my birthday and I'm 15.  LOL   She finally got that out!  She still has friends from her grade on up.

Now back to the intrinsic moitivation, mega memory and such. My daughters memory turned into a photogenic memory about 3 years ago.  She would study for a huge history exam, two pages of notes. She would study for an hour, then come out of her bedroom and say  "mom, test me" I would ask her the questions off the paper and she would tell me the answers WORD FOR WORD OFF THE PAPER.  I finally said....How do you do that. She said It's easy. I see the paper in my mind with all my notes on it.

Needless to say she's a straight A student, very advanced in her classes and will probably graduate with a two year college degree out of High School.  These children are a blessing. I can't tell you how happy I am to have a child that doesn't struggle with school. I am a teacher and find it trying sometimes when children don't put forth an effort to learn, or even care.  I'm getting involved with Teachers without Walls...sort of like Doctors without borders. I really need to teach children that are eager and appreciative to learn.

I'm going to find you a link about that mega memory thing....hold on, be right back..Here's something from wikipedia.com  I normally don't resource that site, but just wanted to give you an idea...it's Eidetic Memory. There may be another kind too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eidetic_memory

I think your little one would love playing the Nancy Drew PC Games on the computer. I would start her off with "The Secret of the Old Clock"  These games will keep her mind energized and foster problem solving skills.  If you get stuck on something...go to Gameboomers.com and get your answers there.

Have fun with this little one. My daughter is almost 16. She's a wonderful girl, minds me well, and is still a straight A student.

Denise

Angelanscalf89
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:06 PM
I have a very bad memory but my earliest memory is literally bouncing in my jonny jumper when I wasnt even a year old. I remember what it was like to only have a sister (brother is 3 yrs younger) i have memories of where we lived when I was 2 and my sister was just a baby I have random memories of being a young child and baby but I also have large blocks of emptyness from the same time period all the way up until I was around 10 or 11. My clearest early memories I was 4 memories before that are a little blurry.

Quoting luvbooks:

An interesting topic.  My earliest memories begin when I was about three.  I remember my borther beginning to teach me to read - from the Blue Fairy Book if any of you are old enough to remember that - and also an Asian outfit my uncle brought me back when he returned from the Korean War (I'm pretty old compared to the rest of you).  I remember the first TV my family ever had about from the same time (Howdy Doody anyone?).  After that I'm pretty fuzzy except from some isolated memories until about age eight or so.

I have been interested in memory as a topic so I will be interested in reading about other peoples earliest memories also.

I have other stories about early memories that might be interesting.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofnate0707
by New Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:17 PM

My 5yo is always telling me stories from when he was little, or from when his sister was born 2 years ago. I have to think back really hard to remember what he is telling me about. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN