Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Do your kids remember things?

Posted by   + Show Post

My six year old remembers EVERYTHING from the time she was one up to now. She can't tell you what she had for lunch yesterday at school but she can tell you something that happened back when she was just learning to walk, in full detail. Things we haven't really told her about. 

She can describe the house we lived in from the time she was 18 months until she was almost three. We haven't been back to that house since we moved, nor do we have pictures of it anywhere. 

She will out of the blue come up with something, a true event that happened, that is never mentioned, and tell us about it. Like her third birthday party, which I've forgotten most details of myself, she'll talk about. She'll remember what she has been for Halloween every year since she was born (the first two halloweens' she's asked about her costume, but after that, she knows)

DH can't remember anything before turning 8. No specific childhood memories or anything. I can only remember things I've heard stories about or seen pictures of, so it's surprising to me that she can tell so many stories and give so much specific detail about things she shouldn't know a lot about. Her sister isn't the same way, she'll remember a few things that happened last year or the year before, but not a lot (she's turning 5 next month). 

DD has been called a "genius" by every teacher she's ever had, and is advanced for her class, but I guess she has one of those excellent memories as well.

ETA: She also makes up far fetched stories, her imagination is fantastic. Every story begins with "when i was a little baby, you took me to the moon" or "when i was 3 and sister was 2, we went to china". Things that have never happened (especially the moon part lol).

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Replies (51-60):
merryvoice
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I was just talking to someone about this yesterday! A friend remembers things from 2 years old, and I remember things from when I was 3. I am impressed that your daughter remembers that far back!

Aga15
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:23 PM

My son was this way. He's now 18...He was in gifted classes, he could memorize a poem 5 minutes before his class started...he was and still is very bright. He was diagnose with Bi-polar II just few months ago. His doctor told us, most kids that are exceptionally bright and have amazing abilities have some "disorder". I don't really know what to think about this statement but if he's really bipolar II, then this is blessing in our minds, because he playes 3 instrument, has amazing ability to do few things at the same time, and nothing can stop him to hallow his dreams...Whatever it is...it's working for my son :)...I have 4 kids, my second is a A strait student but not as sharp as her brother and 2 youngest show some of the abilities their older brother had as a little boy, and this includes amazing memories...We'll wait and see...Congratulations on your bright and amazing daughter! Enjoy her and be proud! Gifted kids are not easy to raise but it's special blessing to have them...:)

budgie1117
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:11 PM
My son is that way....down to what he or someone else was WEARING! I have a really good memory too. I have a memory of laying on the couch drinking a bottle. I had to be less than 2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AndriaBell
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:16 PM
I have a lot of memories from when I was pretty young (3-4) but have less memories from when I was a bit older 8+ (probably for good reason). My daughter is the same her memory is amazing. She is extremely bright (only just 5 now). I would be surprised if she is not "gifted". But in no hurry to get her any label. She also shows some sign of an anxiety disorder (again not using labels). But they go hand in hand in some cases (giftedness and anxiety disorders)
la_bella_vita
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:27 PM
My oldst has an excellent memory
Sophiamommy1190
by New Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:28 PM

My 3 1/2 yr old daughter has an amazing memory too.  It's actually freaky scary the things she remembers. Just tonight I took out my old photo albums to show her pictures of me when I was a little girl. Instead I found some that had pictures of my dog Smokey.  So I show her the picture and she says to me "What about your cat Crystal?".  I was completely shocked. I must have mentioned to her my cats name maybe all of 3 times and I can't even remember the last time I told her.  She also starts stories with "Mama, remember when I was a little baby and ....". She usually has all her facts right.  I asked her today if she remembered the name of her grandfathers town. Without a second hesitation she said "Massapequa" Where does Nanny live I asked, "She lives in Pennsylvania"  Her memory is truly remarkable.  I've been told that I've got a bit of a photographic memory. I can remember details of almost all the homes that my husband and i looked at before we found ours.  I remember what someone had at dinner when we go out with friends... what someone was wearing a party...things like that.  I'm so looking forward to what else she has in store for me.  

aimers6
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:41 PM
When my oldest was 2 my bf atp the time wrecked my car. We broke up a few months later and He moved out of state before age 3. My son would ask when nate was going to fix my yellow car until He was 7. Kids remember off the wall thing like that.
IQuitCounting
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:58 PM

My son has a pretty good memory, and sometimes he'll bust out one of those "when I was a baby" comments that has us ogling a little, because they're true (he also does the stories, but we obviously can tell the difference).  He's four now, and he can recall things a year ago that we haven't brought up since they happened and it's amazing the details, but I wouldn't say he's on the same level as your daughter.  Who knows though, he's only four now.  I think at these younger ages they just have far more room in there than we do as adults.  Things get pruned if they don't get used.

As for me, I have memories back pretty far.  But they're more like glimpses of moments, not full clear memories.  My oldest is from about age two, sitting on my training potty that was put away in a closest, and the view looking out into the kitchen.  I wasn't using it, just sitting on it, and it had a vacuum cleaner hose it was sitting in the middle of.  I had a little peoples house, the old one with the crank elevator, and it was sitting on the floor in the kitchen.    Odd memory, but there it is.  I've always been praised on my memory though, or rather I my recall.  Standard testing in school was a breeze for me.

LizByers922
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM
My 9 1/2yo DS is like that.We call himthe family historian. His memory comes in very handy!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IBNeaters
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:00 PM

My son is the same way--he can remember things that happened as far back as just around his first birthday!  We lived in Africa for about 6 months when he had just turned 3 and ppl were saying that he wouldn't remember anything anyways, but he still asks about some of his friends all the time.  It just astounds me as my memory is definitely not the greatest, but I ask him (he's 6) to remember things for me and he does!  I think my earliest memory was from when I was 2 or 3, but it's very patchy.  There are a few things that are significant that I can remember but definetly not like him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)