Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do your kids remember things?

Posted by   + Show Post

My six year old remembers EVERYTHING from the time she was one up to now. She can't tell you what she had for lunch yesterday at school but she can tell you something that happened back when she was just learning to walk, in full detail. Things we haven't really told her about. 

She can describe the house we lived in from the time she was 18 months until she was almost three. We haven't been back to that house since we moved, nor do we have pictures of it anywhere. 

She will out of the blue come up with something, a true event that happened, that is never mentioned, and tell us about it. Like her third birthday party, which I've forgotten most details of myself, she'll talk about. She'll remember what she has been for Halloween every year since she was born (the first two halloweens' she's asked about her costume, but after that, she knows)

DH can't remember anything before turning 8. No specific childhood memories or anything. I can only remember things I've heard stories about or seen pictures of, so it's surprising to me that she can tell so many stories and give so much specific detail about things she shouldn't know a lot about. Her sister isn't the same way, she'll remember a few things that happened last year or the year before, but not a lot (she's turning 5 next month). 

DD has been called a "genius" by every teacher she's ever had, and is advanced for her class, but I guess she has one of those excellent memories as well.

ETA: She also makes up far fetched stories, her imagination is fantastic. Every story begins with "when i was a little baby, you took me to the moon" or "when i was 3 and sister was 2, we went to china". Things that have never happened (especially the moon part lol).

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Replies (61-70):
momsknowbest690
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I can recall stuff since I was a baby too and I'm 57 years old. Strange how the mind works. I even remember dreams. I recall incidences with my mom getting upset with me, or tagging me with names and to my siblings. I guess it''s like motion pictures and capturing events  that lodge there in our minds. We can ignore those thoughts or ponder them at will. Some are imbedded on our conscience. At least that's how my mind works. Kid of odd though sometimes I can't shake thoughts away when I want to either, and that's when I have to forgive others of things. It is helpful, but the memories are still lodged there. From, Margie ~ momsknowbest690.

othermom
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM

My kids can remember something from when they were little. I can remember a few things, but I wasn't really little

othermom
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Sometimes I can picture a spot from when I was a kid, or haven't been for years. If I try to focus on the memory it goes away, but if I don't it is kind of neat. Like the house my grandma had when I was a kid ion the beach where I had not been for about 15 years up until last year(Iam 28). I have a few memories from younger than that from stories I have been told.

MikeysMom22
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I still wonder about that Ken Jennings guy on Jeopardy that won all that money!!! Wonder if he is on the spectrum too. My son is on the lower end of the spectrum and I work with students on the Autism Spectrum as well. That would be great if he could win his Mom lots of money that way!!!

Quoting Baggy927:

My son is 11 & has Aspergers. He is high functioning & mostly only has the social & no filter troubles associated with it. On the other hand he has a photographic memory. He has won every spelling bee he has been in (6). He loves to read & read & read. National geographic he reads cover to cover when it comes in the mail. He remembers it ALL! He will just say the most random facts at the most random times it's crazy! I am ashamed & proud to say that my 11 year old knows more right now than I do, he could run circles around me academically. I won't tell him this however, don't want him to think he rules the roost lol. I do hope one day he wins his Mommy a lot of $ on Jeopardy though lol.

BabyJo
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:35 PM
My daughter is much like that and I myself have vivid memories starting from age 2. Only a few events that young though. My daughter is very smart but I think it's just some have better memories than others. My husband has no memories prior to 5 years old and has a hard time believing me. Haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimhawk
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:59 PM

DD is the exact same way. She can't remembered what you told her 5 minutes ago, but she can remember the couch we had when she was 2. She is 5 now and is constantly bringing up things that take me awhile to recall, its crazy. And the stories, yes, the stories! So crazy! Her preschool teacher and aid last year were alwatys talking about her imagination, but as a good thing.

sucker4myloves
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Oh, I don't know, I think you could have taken her to the moon. Don't you know that mommies and daddies are magical?

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

So_Devious20
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:18 PM

DD is like that. She also remembers things as far back as two years old. She's only five though so maybe they will fade with age?

I remember a lot of things from my early childhood too though. I would say my earliest memory is at three years old. I'll tell stories to my mom and she'll say,'how do you remember that?!' lol.

lovemymichael
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:51 PM
My 6 year old remember things that floor me! I'll ask him about the color of the truck ride that he rode in for the first time at the boardwalk and he remembers. I think sometimes that because they only have a few years of memories under their belt it must be easier to remember than 30. Haha
jillhdz
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:16 AM
Perhaps she has an autobiographical memory, i myself do. I remember specific dates, conversations, what people were wearing and the most random details about anything and everything. My memory for pop culture trivia is extremely immaculate however i dont remember anything from algebra class? Go figure. I never forget names, birthdays or anything of the kind... I remember every single hotel i have ever stayed in, lines to every single episode of every single sitcom i have every loved. My son is only 2 and his memory already appears to have a better memory than me. My first memories begin when i was 2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)