Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Do your kids remember things?

Posted by   + Show Post

My six year old remembers EVERYTHING from the time she was one up to now. She can't tell you what she had for lunch yesterday at school but she can tell you something that happened back when she was just learning to walk, in full detail. Things we haven't really told her about. 

She can describe the house we lived in from the time she was 18 months until she was almost three. We haven't been back to that house since we moved, nor do we have pictures of it anywhere. 

She will out of the blue come up with something, a true event that happened, that is never mentioned, and tell us about it. Like her third birthday party, which I've forgotten most details of myself, she'll talk about. She'll remember what she has been for Halloween every year since she was born (the first two halloweens' she's asked about her costume, but after that, she knows)

DH can't remember anything before turning 8. No specific childhood memories or anything. I can only remember things I've heard stories about or seen pictures of, so it's surprising to me that she can tell so many stories and give so much specific detail about things she shouldn't know a lot about. Her sister isn't the same way, she'll remember a few things that happened last year or the year before, but not a lot (she's turning 5 next month). 

DD has been called a "genius" by every teacher she's ever had, and is advanced for her class, but I guess she has one of those excellent memories as well.

ETA: She also makes up far fetched stories, her imagination is fantastic. Every story begins with "when i was a little baby, you took me to the moon" or "when i was 3 and sister was 2, we went to china". Things that have never happened (especially the moon part lol).

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Replies (71-80):
jillhdz
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Do u even kno what autism is? For God sake it is the new adhd, and now every kid is a little autistic according to these doctors... Bs! Kids are being labeled and over diagnosed with autism like kids in the 90s were with add...

Quoting MikeysMom22:

I still wonder about that Ken Jennings guy on Jeopardy that won all that money!!! Wonder if he is on the spectrum too. My son is on the lower end of the spectrum and I work with students on the Autism Spectrum as well. That would be great if he could win his Mom lots of money that way!!!

Quoting Baggy927:

My son is 11 & has Aspergers. He is high functioning & mostly only has the social & no filter troubles associated with it. On the other hand he has a photographic memory. He has won every spelling bee he has been in (6). He loves to read & read & read. National geographic he reads cover to cover when it comes in the mail. He remembers it ALL! He will just say the most random facts at the most random times it's crazy! I am ashamed & proud to say that my 11 year old knows more right now than I do, he could run circles around me academically. I won't tell him this however, don't want him to think he rules the roost lol. I do hope one day he wins his Mommy a lot of $ on Jeopardy though lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillhdz
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Autobiographical memory.

Quoting denisepeace:

Ahhh...you are a blessed mom!  My daughter was like that.  I looked into it. There's a name for it but it escapes me this minute. My little girl would say "Mom, don't you remember when...bla, bla, bla. I was wearing my blue shorts with the rainbow on the pocket and my orange shirt with the smile on it.  Well, I learned to say "How old were you?" and she would then say 5.  She would be 10 when telling me this.

These children are intrinically motivated. My daughter is extremly disciplined. I never have to tell her to do her homework, and in third grade I stopped looking at her school work. The school put her in geometry then and used her as a math tutor for the other children.

I put her in a charter school for 6,7, and 8th because they taught the children to their abilities. The principles said something to me about her and I just told them that she has been tutoring since 3rd grade and just use her as a tutor when she gets through her work. One time while I was signing her out of school, the principle called out to her and said "Hey Autumn, I heard you finished your reading for the year!"  We were in the 3rd month of school.....I looked at her and she just smiled and said Yeah!  We went outside and I said "You finished your reading for the year?" She said mom, I thought we were supposed to read one book a week, not one book a month. After this her principle talked with me and we just agreed to push her forward so she wouldn't be bored.

Well, now she's in HS. Her first day she was crying, so scared. Apparently she was put in 11th grade classes. I asked "Do the kids know your a 9th grader?" She said no...they think I'm in 11th. I said, good, just let them keep thinking that.  Well, on her birthday, she wore a T-Shirt to school that she painted the following words....Today is my birthday and I'm 15.  LOL   She finally got that out!  She still has friends from her grade on up.

Now back to the intrinsic moitivation, mega memory and such. My daughters memory turned into a photogenic memory about 3 years ago.  She would study for a huge history exam, two pages of notes. She would study for an hour, then come out of her bedroom and say  "mom, test me" I would ask her the questions off the paper and she would tell me the answers WORD FOR WORD OFF THE PAPER.  I finally said....How do you do that. She said It's easy. I see the paper in my mind with all my notes on it.

Needless to say she's a straight A student, very advanced in her classes and will probably graduate with a two year college degree out of High School.  These children are a blessing. I can't tell you how happy I am to have a child that doesn't struggle with school. I am a teacher and find it trying sometimes when children don't put forth an effort to learn, or even care.  I'm getting involved with Teachers without Walls...sort of like Doctors without borders. I really need to teach children that are eager and appreciative to learn.

I'm going to find you a link about that mega memory thing....hold on, be right back..Here's something from wikipedia.com  I normally don't resource that site, but just wanted to give you an idea...it's Eidetic Memory. There may be another kind too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eidetic_memory

I think your little one would love playing the Nancy Drew PC Games on the computer. I would start her off with "The Secret of the Old Clock"  These games will keep her mind energized and foster problem solving skills.  If you get stuck on something...go to Gameboomers.com and get your answers there.

Have fun with this little one. My daughter is almost 16. She's a wonderful girl, minds me well, and is still a straight A student.

Denise

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoseFlame
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I remember stuff from 2 on my mom is still shocked, I'm her little memeo pad even now and I haven't lived at home in over 3 yrs she tells me stuff and I will call and remind her still.

luvbooks
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:30 AM

I've always been fascinated by eidetic memory.  I have always had an above average memory, i.e. could remember about the page of a book where something took place, but not eidetic at all.  I've always wondered.  Do you remember exactly?  Can you remember whole pages of books, pictures etc.?  Really interested.  What have been your experience?

pookster54
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:41 AM

What an interesting gift! I was reading your post and thought of Marilou Henner. She was on the Today Show not that long ago talking about her memory. She has hyperthymesia, which sounds exactly like your daughter. She just wrote a book about learning to unlock your memory, not that your daughter needs any help in that area, but she is someone that lives with it every day. I've seen that it can be a blessing and a curse and drives some people nuts because there is so much useless information in their head. So definitely look into it so your daughter can learn to cope with everything. Good luck! 

hrgirl75
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:34 AM

My 5yo son is the same way.  He can't tell me what he had for lunch but he can tell in great detail events that have happened even as early as being a very small baby.  My dad said that he come sometimes remember events from being a baby as well.  He has an excellent memory too.  My son's imaginination is extremely creative and he can make up songs, plays, etc in a moment.  I think it's awesome.  Encourage your DS to run with those ideas - means she is an "out of the box" thinker which could provide limitless possibilities.  Thanks for sharing!

kaycee74
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I remember a couple of things before the age of five.  Once I got to preschool my memories became vivid and cemented in my mind.  There are many things that I don't recall, but I have specific memories that my parents know they never told me about.  They go back 34 years.  Oh, the days of red shag carpets and our black and white TV set.

Strangely, I have a memory from high school that is completely gone to me, but my told me about it 6 years ago.  It would appear that I attended a dinner (with my mom) for women interested in Holy Orders.  What the what?!?  I denied this every happening.  She says that it was definitely me, and not my sister since we were living in a different city.  It disturbs me more that I have forgotten something that is only 20 years old, and I can remember preschool events well.

jen1130
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM
My 16 year old is like that in learning....I would not be surprised if he has close to a photographic memory. He had me read his favorite books and he really had to be kind of pushy about it. So I read and he come up and asks what page are you on....I tell him and he says oh you are reading about this #### and then we talk about the book. He is like that with school books as well. The grades stay good as long as he turns the work in: )

He has always remembered things well but books are his strong point. He does test very well on just about anything.

I have always had a good memory but DH not at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spicygranny
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Having a good memory  will benifit your DD in her life, she should be able to get good grades in classes that are in text than discussion.  That will be great for her when she gets to high school and college.  I have a friend that has an excellant memory for some areas and not so good in the common since wise. LOL  He is able to speak and read 8 diff. lanuaages.  Finding something that will challange DD mind may get more diffuct over the years, but at least if you lose you keys she will remember where they are.LOL   Keep trying to challange her mind, you'll be suprised at what she can do.            (ps.  bad spelling today)

EmilyHanson
by New Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:40 PM
I have twin 3yr olds. One of them Is the same way and remembers things that hayppens in just a split second and were never revisited and had happened even before she was 1yr old!! She will just blurt out some random thing from before she should be able to remember!! And her twin can hardly remember squat!lol G is the introvert of the two and L is the extravert.. We were always concerned about G and how well she was learning since she really didn't show us much..but holy cow was she ever!! She was just spending all that time sitting back and absorbing everything around her and logging it into that amazing little brain of hers to come out with it later when it would amaze you!!:)) I'd have to agree with you, Genius!!;) this girl new how to tell all her shapes apart even before anyone had even told her what a dang hexagon was!! How do you explaine that?!lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN