Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Do your kids remember things?

Posted by   + Show Post

My six year old remembers EVERYTHING from the time she was one up to now. She can't tell you what she had for lunch yesterday at school but she can tell you something that happened back when she was just learning to walk, in full detail. Things we haven't really told her about. 

She can describe the house we lived in from the time she was 18 months until she was almost three. We haven't been back to that house since we moved, nor do we have pictures of it anywhere. 

She will out of the blue come up with something, a true event that happened, that is never mentioned, and tell us about it. Like her third birthday party, which I've forgotten most details of myself, she'll talk about. She'll remember what she has been for Halloween every year since she was born (the first two halloweens' she's asked about her costume, but after that, she knows)

DH can't remember anything before turning 8. No specific childhood memories or anything. I can only remember things I've heard stories about or seen pictures of, so it's surprising to me that she can tell so many stories and give so much specific detail about things she shouldn't know a lot about. Her sister isn't the same way, she'll remember a few things that happened last year or the year before, but not a lot (she's turning 5 next month). 

DD has been called a "genius" by every teacher she's ever had, and is advanced for her class, but I guess she has one of those excellent memories as well.

ETA: She also makes up far fetched stories, her imagination is fantastic. Every story begins with "when i was a little baby, you took me to the moon" or "when i was 3 and sister was 2, we went to china". Things that have never happened (especially the moon part lol).

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Replies (81-88):
Acalhoun
by New Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:54 PM

How neat! You should encourage her to write stories!

Everyone has brains that remember things differently.  At first I thought she was going to be like those people that can't forget anything, but then you said she can't remember what she had for lunch the day before.

It seems to me that she has a selective memory (as most of us do in some form or fashion) and because of the things her brain chooses to remember, she appears to be of a genius nature.

Continue to encourage her and she will blossom into a wonderful, creative woman.  As long as school is fun for her, she'll have no problems learning what she needs to.  The problems start arising when she is no longer interested in what she's being taught at school. Or if the teachers are using very doldrum methods.  Genius kids are akin to ADHD kids, they need to have their attention piqued to keep their brains on the lesson at hand.

kimsardo
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I am curious as to what my son will be able to remember and articulate to me.

Thelmama
by Thelma on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Mine can some.  My first memory is when I was an infant.  However, maybe she has that thing where sh ecan remember everything. I forget what it is called but I saw it on the Today Show.  LOL at myself for forgetting it..LOL

trz031407
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM
My son is 5 with amazing memory. He absorbs everything he comes into contact with. He surprises me with things like your daughter does you.

I chalk it up to they have not too many years to remember thus far. I know my son is well beyond his years with his vocabulary and he still enjoys Memory games to keep his mind sharp. I'm not sure if that IS the reason but it is what I think

. I remember some things from 2 years old on, but not everything.

I was always advanced and had photographic memory. My son surpasses what I was (I can already tell) He has made 100% on every exam he's taken (so far he's had 3 'quarterly review' in pre-k & 2 math tests in Kinder) & the first week of pre-k he was asking "Mom can you ask the teachers to please not do the sounds of the letters anymore? I already know them!" and it's true, the only one he got confused on until then was Q.

This morning he advised me if I wanted the days to "fly by" (vacation is soon) then I would have to make the Earth spin faster. He really knows his stuff. I'm jealous of his uncanny ability to out shine the adults in his life. He picks the right moments, too.

I question Asperger's syndrome with my son because of his personality. I haven't gotten that checked out yet though, no teacher has mentioned any problems. Except when he argued the VPK teacher about the word Gnat not being pronounced Nat but Guh-Nat. I am sure he will have many better things to question than that though as we move forward.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MikeysMom22
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:53 PM

ADHD and true autism are NOT the same thing. My son is 28 years old and was diagnosed with Autism back in 1988. Yes, I know what Autism is!!!!

Do u even kno what autism is? For God sake it is the new adhd, and now every kid is a little autistic according to these doctors... Bs! Kids are being labeled and over diagnosed with autism like kids in the 90s were with add...

Quoting MikeysMom22:

I still wonder about that Ken Jennings guy on Jeopardy that won all that money!!! Wonder if he is on the spectrum too. My son is on the lower end of the spectrum and I work with students on the Autism Spectrum as well. That would be great if he could win his Mom lots of money that way!!!

Quoting Baggy927:

My son is 11 & has Aspergers. He is high functioning & mostly only has the social & no filter troubles associated with it. On the other hand he has a photographic memory. He has won every spelling bee he has been in (6). He loves to read & read & read. National geographic he reads cover to cover when it comes in the mail. He remembers it ALL! He will just say the most random facts at the most random times it's crazy! I am ashamed & proud to say that my 11 year old knows more right now than I do, he could run circles around me academically. I won't tell him this however, don't want him to think he rules the roost lol. I do hope one day he wins his Mommy a lot of $ on Jeopardy though lol.

KRIZZ25
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:54 PM
wow..good memory..my dd can rember ..but twins not so much.
KRIZZ25
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM
i can go back to age 5..that's 31 years ago.
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:30 PM

They remember everything!  They are like sponges.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN