Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

TEACHING OUR LITTLES ONES WHAT TO DO IF THEY GET LOST OR SEPARATED

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:42 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hi, I don't know about other moms out there, but I started teaching my 3 1/2 yr old daughter about stranger danger when she was about 2 1/2.  One of the things that I stressed to her was what to do in case we get separated while we are out together.

I told her to that if we were to get separated and you can't find Momma or Daddy that I want to to look for another mommy with kids, or a lady that looks like Auntie or Nanny.  I told her that any lady can always help you and not to go to a man, that they wouldn't know how to help you.  I understand that she'd probably be crying and very upset and what 3 yr old has the wits to remember that in a panic state. I just think that if she can remember this, the likelyhood of something happening to her in the presence of a woman is far less dangerous then going to a man.  Think about that poor little boy from Brooklyn. 

I've asked a few other moms that I know and I've been told that they taught their kids to look for a cop, fireman or store employee.  Really though, how many cops are just walking the streets or hanging out in stores and I really don't think she would even know what a store person would look like.  How many firemen are there walking around with their uniforms on too.  

We go over this almost every time we go out somewhere.  I'm not scaring her or making her paranoid, I just calmly ask her "Do you remember what to do if you can't find me?" She immediately says "I look for another mommy or lady and tell her I need help, and I don't ask daddies." 

What are your thoughts on this, I'd be really interested in hearing from you.

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I completly agree. It's true that women with kids are considered "safe strangers". I've told my kids, they're 5, 7 and 13 now, to Look for Mommies with strollers. They're better at helping. Not Daddies.

Also, if you lose me in a store, find a lady behind a counter. She can help you find me. Store employees are really your kids best bet.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:14 PM

But honestly while teaching stranger danger is good, you have to recognise that the vast majority of abductions happen from someone the child knows.

To help prevent this, I've taught my kids that they're not allowed to go anywhere, with anyone, including Nana,lol, without telling me first. Reason being, Mommy will panic if she walks outside and can't find you!

Secondly, no secrets. There's never ever a reason to keep a secret from me or daddy. Even if someone says they're hurt you or anyone else. Don't believe them. The only reason someone would want it a secret is because they know *I* will be the one hurting them, badly, and they're afraid of me!

Also they knew the correct names for their body parts from the time they could talk. My ds had a peanut and tickles (His version of a penis and testicles,lol) And my dd's had gina's. Usually molesters will make up pet names for private parts, like a game. So if you child starts calling it something else, you'll have a heads up.

And lastly no one is allowed to touch them if they don't want to be touched. This goes for hugs or kisses from Grandma to me or daddy too. Their body is their own and they don't have to be touched if they don't want to be.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Sophiamommy1190
by New Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I was in Target a couple of years ago and there was a little boy obviously lost and looking for his mom. I could read the panic in his face, so I gently went up to him and asked him if he lost his mommy and he said yes. I told that I was a mommy too and I will help him. I took him to the counter and we had his mom paged and I told him that I would stay with him until she came.  He was calm and held my hand and told me his name, even said I was nice. It took her 10 mins but she did finally show up.  That got me thinking that if that was Sophia, I'd want her to go to a woman and ask for help. Store people are good, but they still make me nervous.  

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:27 PM

That's great that you did that. But the reason I also suggest female employees is, if you're at work, the chances of you also being an active kidnapper is pretty slim,lol.

Quoting Sophiamommy1190:

I was in Target a couple of years ago and there was a little boy obviously lost and looking for his mom. I could read the panic in his face, so I gently went up to him and asked him if he lost his mommy and he said yes. I told that I was a mommy too and I will help him. I took him to the counter and we had his mom paged and I told him that I would stay with him until she came.  He was calm and held my hand and told me his name, even said I was nice. It took her 10 mins but she did finally show up.  That got me thinking that if that was Sophia, I'd want her to go to a woman and ask for help. Store people are good, but they still make me nervous.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN