Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

My daughter is going to be a failure in life :-(

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:19 PM
  • 90 Replies

That's what it feels like at least...

She's 13 years old and her main goal in life it seems is just doing the bare minimum. Chores, school work, you name it.

We pulled her out of regular school because she was falling behind. In her new school she only goes 2 days a week for an hour to test and has to complete two packets a week. The packets are not big and they offer free tutoring 2x a week.

She turns in maybe one packet a week and is lucky to get a C on it. The answers she gives are atrocious. Failing just doesn't  bother her. When it comes to chores she'll do the fastest sloppiest job she can just to get it over with. She just doesn't care! The only way she'll do a "good" job is if I sit with her and read each and every answer and have her redo every single one. Same with chores. I'm tired of finding trash on the floor and dirty dishes in the cupboard She's 13 for Gods sakes I shouldn't have to hold her hand. I have other things to do. I've tried punishing her. Taking away privileges until she gets her things done.

Honestly I'm tired. I'm to the point that I don't care if she fails. It's her life.

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Thelmama
by Thelma on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:30 PM

My  sister is having similar problems with her 12 year old dd. She is at her wits end too. She earned in school suspension today for skipping a program called lunch and learn that helps kids get extra time for homework, tutoring and the like.  She isn't turning in assignments etc.  If you figure it out, let me know because I don't know how to help her either.

jellybeanjean
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Hmmmm sorry to hear about your struggle. Is there anything she is motivated to do?

DiANAiVELiSSE
by Diana on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm soo scared this will happen to me! my DD is only 4 but she already shows signs of laziness. i have to "force" her to do everything I KNOW shes 4 but your never to young to learn responsability

calimom1123
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:45 PM
It could just be the age with hormones and all that. I know I was like that at that age. A big thing though, make sure you dont do everything for her. Dont overcorrect her either. Not saying you do that, but my mom used to. If I put off something for long enough my mom would get fed up and do it herself.My mom was a perfectionist so if you folded clothes it had to be done a certain way. I got resentful that I couldnt do it right so I wouldnt do it at all. Mabe sit with her and have a talk. Ask her what she thinks would help her. Hugs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Amy on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:07 PM

My 15 year old is the same way, though she's finally starting to improve.  My older son was that way as well and once he started high school his attitude and work improved a ton.  Hopefully your daughter will experience that as well.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Oh hell, wish us both luck,lol.

Quoting Thelmama:

My  sister is having similar problems with her 12 year old dd. She is at her wits end too. She earned in school suspension today for skipping a program called lunch and learn that helps kids get extra time for homework, tutoring and the like.  She isn't turning in assignments etc.  If you figure it out, let me know because I don't know how to help her either.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Homework or chore wise?

Quoting jellybeanjean:

Hmmmm sorry to hear about your struggle. Is there anything she is motivated to do?

Thelmama
by Thelma on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks.

Quoting paganbaby:

Oh hell, wish us both luck,lol.

Quoting Thelmama:

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM

DD's always been a tad on the lazy side too :-(

And yeah I totally agree!

Quoting DiANAiVELiSSE:

I'm soo scared this will happen to me! my DD is only 4 but she already shows signs of laziness. i have to "force" her to do everything I KNOW shes 4 but your never to young to learn responsability

nzumbrun
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM
Omg I could have written this about my 9 year old!! I am having the same exact same problem. I will be watching this to see if you get any good ideas. Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN