Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age do you teach your children to be self sufficient?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM
  • 15 Replies

is 7 years old too young?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
givenshl
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Teaching your child to be self sufficient is teaching them confidence therefore age 7 I don't think is to young. We have to start early to instill in our young to be survivors.

As soon as my children mastered potty training, it was time to continue teaching them life skills to lead them to be self sufficient. Pending their age is how I set their goals.

kLynch315
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:15 PM

This exactly. 

Teaching your child to be self sufficient is teaching them confidence therefore age 7 I don't think is to young. We have to start early to instill in our young to be survivors.

As soon as my children mastered potty training, it was time to continue teaching them life skills to lead them to be self sufficient. Pending their age is how I set their goals.

Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Of course not.  There are certain things that they can do at different age levels.  That being said, you don't want to push them to grow up too quickly. 

Malayahsmom06
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

We start teaching them things that are on their skill level a thing at a time. For example, my three year old is capable of setting the table (minus knives of course), and my five year old is capable of helping sort the laundry, etc. Learning to be self sufficient as they grow up is a great thing to teach them.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I don't think 7 is too young.

Jalestra
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Nah, I start with mine around 5 or 6 depending on their maturity level. They start with supervised sandwich making, assisting with sorting and putting away their own laundrey, the buttons on the microwave, stuff like that. At 8 or 9 I teach them to do their own laundrey (I have to switch the laundrey from washer to dryer, since they can't reach all the way in, but it's the lesson that counts). They aren't allowed on the stove until they can stand over it and work at it without using a chair, but to me that's a safety issue. They can fall off a chair or something, but they can help with dinner preparations to some extent. 

David started sorting and putting his clothes on hangers at 5 by himself, but that was at his own insistance and he actually does a pretty decent job.

sjump25
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Heck no! I'm teaching my 2 year old to be self sufficient with little things..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
curlycupcake
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

It starts from the very beginning, I think.  Building the confidence to walk, letting their hand go that first time- that's when it really begins.  Kids LOVE to "do it myself"  My two year old pick his clothes (still needs help dressing though lol)  He can get himself a cup of water, he uses the potty (when he bothers to remember) puts his own shoes own, can buckle himself into the car seat (the chest buckle not the lower one, that's almost too hard for me!) he can go into the pantry and chose a snack,  He helps with dishes & laundry & is expected to help with family pick ups.  My five year old has chores & earns an allowance.  She dresses herself, brushes her hair and teeth.  We ride horses & she can muck out a stall and groom her pony as well as I can.  She just needs a stool lol!

I believe children raise themselves up to the level of your expectations.  Be kind and patient and firm and they will pick it up.  I try to keep my house as kid friendly as possible (ie: apples and raisins on the shelves in the pantry they can reach, cookies up high! or stools so they can easily wash their own hands or dishes, clothes racks at their height etc)  It really helps.

Put that kid to work!  Teach him to do it with a smile, grateful that he has a home that requires care and he will amaze you.  Mine amaze me every day!

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Self sufficient in what way?

Can my 8 year old use the bathroom himself yes, yes he can....

Can he pay the bills and balance the check book?  No.

LML1
by Kristy on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I would say potty training is the first step of teaching a child to be self sufficient.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)