Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

I'm an Atheist who believes in God...

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 11:29 PM
  • 75 Replies
1 mom liked this

Sounds odd doesn't it? But it's true.

I feel that God exists for every person who truly believes in him. That's undeniable. He serves a great purpose too. He gives comfort during heart wrenching times and meaning in an unpredictable world. My mom herself said she couldn't have survived my sisters death without him.

He inspires people to reach out to their fellow man and do wonderful things. He changes lives and gives hope to the hopeless. Because of this, I would never try to convince anyone that he's not real. That would be cruel.

So yes, while I do believe God exist to his believers, that's where it ends. He doesn't exist to me because I don't believe in him (nor do I have the need to) Reality is subjective and everyone's reality is different. Given that, All Gods are real...to someone.

by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shudderette
by Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM
2 moms liked this
So then you don't really believe that God exists you just think that it's not bad to let ppl believe he does.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Oct. 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM

In a way. But then again, the mind is a powerful thing. Who's to say he wasn't thought into existence?

Quoting shudderette:

So then you don't really believe that God exists you just think that it's not bad to let ppl believe he does.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

shudderette
by Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this

There's no way to know. 

I consider myself a christian. I believe God exsists because I want to believe. It makes me feel better that there is some higher power who has some kind of control over things. I like that better than the world being full of randomness. Doesn't quite seem... possible. There are too many little details. Like the beauty of the human body. How could that be an accident?

Quoting paganbaby:

In a way. But then again, the mind is a powerful thing. Who's to say he wasn't thought into existence?

Quoting shudderette:

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Oct. 22, 2012 at 12:09 AM

And this is the reason why I'm so happy religion does exsit :-)

Quoting shudderette:

There's no way to know. 

I consider myself a christian. I believe God exsists because I want to believe. It makes me feel better that there is some higher power who has some kind of control over things. I like that better than the world being full of randomness. Doesn't quite seem... possible. There are too many little details. Like the beauty of the human body. How could that be an accident?

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting shudderette:

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Oct. 22, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I can totally understand what you are saying.  I feel the same way.  I tried the whole religion thing.  I went to church EVERY Sunday morning and Wednesday nights when I was growing up.  My mom taught 4 year old preschool in the same church.  I stopped going when I was 16.  I have tried several times to get back into the church thing, but I cannot do it.  I even tried praying again for my friends and family members.  I just can't get into it.  I don't even think there is a God anymore.  Is that weird?!?

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Oct. 22, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Quoting Kmakksmom:

I can totally understand what you are saying.  I feel the same way.  I tried the whole religion thing.  I went to church EVERY Sunday morning and Wednesday nights when I was growing up.  My mom taught 4 year old preschool in the same church.  I stopped going when I was 16.  I have tried several times to get back into the church thing, but I cannot do it.  I even tried praying again for my friends and family members.  I just can't get into it.  I don't even think there is a God anymore.  Is that weird?!?

No, not at all. I too was raised in the church then about 12, I began questioning everything. It just didn't add up. I tried to get back into it when I was 18. Got baptised, prayed every night. I just couldn't feel it.

Like my mom said, Christianity was a pretty dress but it just didn't fit.

lisa220taylor
by New Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 1:13 PM
2 moms liked this

What you're ultimately saying though is that anything you believe in your mind to be true is true.

That's a slippery slope you're heading down....

Thelmama
by Thelma on Oct. 22, 2012 at 1:44 PM
3 moms liked this

To me He is as real as any person on the face of the earth. It is hard to explain.  I understand what you are saying, and maybe one day, you will believe different.  Having a relationship with my Lord, is like breathing to me.  It is that vital to me.  

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Oct. 22, 2012 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Thelmama:

To me He is as real as any person on the face of the earth. It is hard to explain.  I understand what you are saying, and maybe one day, you will believe different.  Having a relationship with my Lord, is like breathing to me.  It is that vital to me.  

I feel the same.  I have had so many things happen in my life for me not to believe and I don't mean just things I mean occurrences of events and I can feel him.

peacemom28
by Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Interesting....kind of like the adult version of Santa?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)