Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

To moms of more than one. Do you have a favorite child?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you have a favorite child?

Options:

No, of course not!

Yes I do. But I make sure none of the kids know it.

Yes I do and everyone, including the kids know it.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 586

View Results

I have three kids. All of them are great but I find that I have a stronger connection to one of them. We just have more in common and get along better. I feel bad about that but that's just how it is. But with that said, I try very hard to make sure I don't show any outward sign of favoritism. I know how much that can hurt :-(

I'm on the home page!!!

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Replies (271-280):
daydreamer
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 8:41 AM
2 moms liked this

I am the mother of two eight years apart.  My eldest is a daughter who is in college, my son is in middle school.  With each child came unique things to appreciate.  Chidren are truly a blessing and they keep us young.  They help us ot experience a variety of life experiences that maybe we would not have had such an opportunity otherwise.  Daughter was one that I shared more quiet things with.  We read books together, shared drawing pictures and would be engrossed in nature where as my son and I have shared active interests, like bike riding, kicking a soccer ball around or playing basketball.  There are no sort of favorites placing one in my heart above the other, but instead, both carry an equal fondness from me but for different reasons.  

Mistygirl
by New Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 8:43 AM
I have three and I do not have a favorite, they are all unique and special in their own way. Momma has plenty of love for all of them equally.
nova.mommy
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I have 2, a boy and a girl.  Sometimes I feel like the girl is.  I think it is because we have more in common, even though she is only 6.  I have never really thought about it but she would prefer to spend time with me and my son would prefer to spend time with DH(his father).

WillTimsmom
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Each of my kids (i have 2) can be a "favorite" depending on what kind of mood i'm in or what activity I am doing.  My oldest is an outdoors type / serious person.  So when I need to plan an activity or I want to do something physical - he's my favorite.  My younger son is a computer geek, but also loves practical jokes and funny movies.  So if I need to be cheered up, or I'm having computer problems, or I need someone to go get coffee with me - he's the one.  Otherwise, my sons are best friends and spending time with both of them is a special treat.

Mommabird123
by New Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I think what you're describing is normal. I often have a favorite but it changes over time.   I've found that I enjoy some stages of development more than others. My kids are also very different people and while I love them both unconditionally,  there have been times when I enjoyed one of them more than the other.  I work hard not to show it, but I try to be fair to myself too.  Both of my kids have had some very challenging periods in their lives.  I would be a hypocrite if I said I liked both my kids the same when my strong willed youngest was 2-3 and her normal toddler tantrums lasted for hours... or when my oldest was 4 and completely lost bowel control for months because he refused to use the toilet.  I never doubted that we would get through these things, I never stopped loving anyone, I was as patient and understanding as I needed to be,  but I would be lying if I said I never liked one kid more than the other.  

azeventdiva
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I have 4, and have things in common with each of them. I couldn't pick a favorite though. My husband does have a favorite.

virgochild79
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I used to think I was closer to my little boy more than my daughter who is 3 years younger than her, that is until he grew up more and I realized he works my nerves just as much as she does, so now not only do they both drive me crazy equally, I equally love, adore and play favoritism to both of them. I tell them both that they are my favorite people in the world.

Aishamusty
by Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:03 AM
No favorites love each one of them equally

lilyismyheart
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:14 AM
I did that too when Kelly ripa came out saying that. I sat and really thought, but for the life of me I could not pick a favorite. I have 3 beautiful girls ages 2, 4, and 6...and they are all great in their own special ways.
We truly have wonderful girls, So blessed!

Quoting Ultra_:

I wanted to be completely honest. So I sat here thinking for a minute and came to realize that I truly do not have a favorite.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nikabear
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM
No I do not. I had to deal with that growing up and I refuse to do my children that way. I treat them all the same
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)