Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Children with ADD or ADHD

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:05 PM
  • 18 Replies

DO you have children with ADD or ADHD? If so what age did they tell you that your child had this, and what did they do about it?

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't - but here is a bump for you! :)
GreenEyes8707
by New Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:28 AM
Thanks
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
themomof3boys
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:52 AM
My oldest was in second grade, my middle son was in 1st grade, and my youngest was in second grade. They put my older two boys on Adderall which they both have stopped taking since. My youngest, I didn't want medicated but when he hit 4 th grade, I realized he needed it and helped him considerably. The dr and I decided we would try Folican...he is on a very low dose of it. I don't give it to him on weekends or breaks from school.
mommieofII
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:43 AM

My daughter was diagnosed at age 8 we ended up putting her on meds when she was 9. It is a med that she takes only on school days it last from around 8 am - 4 pm.. Its basically to help her focus in school.... She doesnt take on weekends or summer

amonkeymom
by Amy on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:16 PM

My daughter has ADHD and was diagnosed in 3rd grade after her teacher (a teacher who was trained to work with both gifted and special ed children) noticed her lack of focus.  She was able to provide great tools to help us and having her diagnoses so that she can receive additional services when/if needed has been a blessing.  My daughter takes medication during the school year except on holidays and weekends.

sabrtooth1
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:01 PM

My kids are ADD(+).  The pluses are, or have been, at one time or another, ODD, OCD, depression, and a visual processing disorder.  I had my children *offically* diagnosed at 12 & 15, but we knew from the time they could walk (well, BEFORE the younger one could walk), that there were issues.  We joke that emotional and neurological disorders don't just "run" in DH's family, they GALLOP.   We advocated for them thru grammar school, but beginning in middle school, the increasing academic, extracurricular, social and hormonal demands were too much, and we knew they needed more help than we were able to provide.  After they were evaluated, we began the process of individual and family counseling, finding the appropriate dosage and mix of drugs, as well as getting tutoring and establishing and monitoring 504's.

My kids are now 29 & 31yo ADDults, still struggle with their issues, still see the Pdoc when necessary, and still take meds.  They also had successfull high school and college educations, have well-paying careers, & homes & families of their own. 

You need to realize that you have a high maintainence kid, and "they" are not going to do ANYTHING about it.  YOU are going to have to do something about it.  Day in and day out.  24/7/365.  ADD does not turn itself off over weekends or holidays.  Kids do not "outgrow" it.  It affects every aspect of their life.  Hopefully, you and they learn effective coping mechanisms, and find an effective mix of counseling and medications so they can be SAFE, happy and successful in life.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:28 PM

My 12 year old daughter is bipolar and has ADHD.  She got diagnosed when she was almost 10 and she was put on Adderall.

Bmama1
by Bernadette on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:04 AM
How early to they show signs?
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I have seen many children who are being treated for ADD or ADHD and yes they show some signs of it but let me tell you many need discipline because it all is a matter of "self-control" Which come in early teen age...I much rather work with a child then medicate them....Here in Michigan it is like 75% of children are treated for some form of ADD or ADHD....That's crazy! as soon as they don't respond to something then the easiest thing to do it medicate them.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Quoting Kmakksmom:

My 12 year old daughter is bipolar and has ADHD.  She got diagnosed when she was almost 10 and she was put on Adderall.

Does Bipolar run in you family, I studied it last year and I found that it was hereditary (that's what the professionals say) I found that it happens from spoiling a child "NOT ALWAYS" I found that when you spoil a child at an early age they will do anything later in life to get what they want including being mean, stealing, and lieing. Over half of all people are being treated for some kind of personality disorder.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)