Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Step parenting: Do's and Don'ts

My kids are part of a blended family due to their father marrying after we divorced four years ago, and I will be marrying soon, and my fiancé has children from a previous relationship. Our kids are under the age of 16 years old. What would you say are the Do's and Don'ts when it comes to being part of a blended family?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:07 AM
Replies (11-14):
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:21 PM

All rules apply to all!

EireLass
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I can only tell what's worked for me. My kids have had a step-mom for more than 15 years. They do not like her. She is very controlling of their father, to the point of them not being able to have a private conversation with him. They were never able to spend time alone with him, without her there. I have never spoken to her, so there has never been negative words or anything between us. However, she has badmouthed me to my kids, which didn't go well for her (haha).

I just remarried this summer. He has 3 kids. I have never met, seen, or spoken to his ex-wife. No need to. Anything that has to do with the kids, he and her deal with....which is very little. I have a very good relationship with his kids. I've never tried to parent them, discipline them, or talk about their mother to them. They have complained about their mother to me, but I just listen, and tell them that regardless of this complaint, she is their mother and she loves them very much.

glenbrook703
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Make the kids feel like they belong.I am a step parent and I tried to be civil with his ex and she just wouldn't do it...she had a issue when the girl start calling me MOM.....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mami2my3rugratz
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:54 PM
The counselor said today to make sure that we back each other up and we stay consistent in what we do. Also to be loving and don't have favorites.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)