Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Applied for another job...one I said I'd never do again.....

Posted by   + Show Post

but these are desperate times.

I applied to work as a foster care worker in my state.  I did this job when I lived in Florida in th 90's before I was married. It was okay but the system is so broken, I said I'd never work for that kind of job again. But there is nothing out there for someone with a Master's degree in Social work. If I get the job, maybe I can make a difference. Maybe I can be the one worker that people know is working on the kids' behalf.  I must get a job though because we can't make it on just my husband's income alone.  

I filled out the online application and hit submit.  But boy did they want to know stuff, I have no idea the answer to. Like what my salary was back then?? I have no clue. It wasn't a mandatory answer so I left it blank.  Hopefully since it wasn't starred as mandatory it will be fine.

In any case.......now I wait and see what happens.

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM

You may not be thrilled with this job but hopefully you will make someone's life better

Thelmama
by Thelma on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I hope so.  I liked working with the kids in the past. It is the system that irks me.  The system is so broken and needs an overhaul. Thanks.

Quoting Bonneata:

You may not be thrilled with this job but hopefully you will make someone's life better

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I worked on the system as an educator in a reform school like set up oh boy I saw some pretty despicable things. From totally inappropriate placement to discrimination. Yep it needs a total overhaul in the worst way. Maybe we should start petition on change.org and the white house.com and get something going on that issue since the states are too busy, broke, or lazy to bother ( this is the case where I live they just don't seem to care) . 

Quoting Thelmama:

I hope so.  I liked working with the kids in the past. It is the system that irks me.  The system is so broken and needs an overhaul. Thanks.

Quoting Bonneata:

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:08 PM

I did not know you have your MSW -did I?  (Or am I going senile???)

I do too!

Thelmama
by Thelma on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Yes and I want to get licensed but need to work to earn some money to take refresher course for the test etc.  If I could be an lcsw doors would open everywhere.  I see a lot of jobs for LCSW.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I do too!

Thelmama
by Thelma on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

yes I agree, the stuff they spend money on in Washington is insane. Instead of investing in our kids....they......okay okay you know......I will not get up on my soap box.......LOL

Quoting Bonneata:

I worked on the system as an educator in a reform school like set up oh boy I saw some pretty despicable things. From totally inappropriate placement to discrimination. Yep it needs a total overhaul in the worst way. Maybe we should start petition on change.org and the white house.com and get something going on that issue since the states are too busy, broke, or lazy to bother ( this is the case where I live they just don't seem to care) . 

Quoting Thelmama:

Quoting Bonneata:

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I wound up leaving the field after 10 years...  FL just has NO infastructure for good programs ( I am spoiled and from NY).  When they cut our program I worked for, I was so disheartened...  And my principal where I worked (as it was a school social work type position for MSW's) hired me as a teacher...  Still not sure I made the right decision - but all of the jobs I was interested in would have me working with kids at hours that would make family time minimal, and I couldn't face that...

Quoting Thelmama:

Yes and I want to get licensed but need to work to earn some money to take refresher course for the test etc.  If I could be an lcsw doors would open everywhere.  I see a lot of jobs for LCSW.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I do too!

Thelmama
by Thelma on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Yes, I hear ya. My family comes FIRST.  I would love to teach but no one is hiring....sigh.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I wound up leaving the field after 10 years...  FL just has NO infastructure for good programs ( I am spoiled and from NY).  When they cut our program I worked for, I was so disheartened...  And my principal where I worked (as it was a school social work type position for MSW's) hired me as a teacher...  Still not sure I made the right decision - but all of the jobs I was interested in would have me working with kids at hours that would make family time minimal, and I couldn't face that...

Quoting Thelmama:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I do too!

little.worthen
by Tessie on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Good luck. My SIL is starting out with foster care. What kind of stuff did you encounter that made you not want to go back?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Thelma on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:03 PM

There were foster homes in the county I worked in that needed to be shut down but the higher up staff would not shut them down.  One in particular was a filthy home, where if you walked across the carpet with bear feet your feet would get black. Saw it happen when a clean child was put down to walk.  The foster mother was very, hmmmm how to say this..........large and was so large she could not reach to wash her parts. She readily admitted to this and having the teen foster girls do it for her!! They refused to close the home. Too many kids in a home.  Kids taken out of homes because the investigator didn't like the parent even though there was no real abuse...or neglect, the parent needed some education as he was "slow". The investigator said "he is too stupid to have a pretty little girl". He just needed to be told how to take care of her after his wife left him for another man.  I made reccomendations for one set of kids to stay in foster care, the mother was NOT ready. The judge returned them.  A week later I had to take the kids back out because the mother was not feeding them, was not cleaning and the home was beyond nasty and she would whip them because they let the and I quote "let the little greel aliens land on the front lawn".  Yeah.....it was  mess. It was a VERY rural county and I often wonder if that had something to do with it. Good old boys helping out good old boys type mentality.

Quoting little.worthen:

Good luck. My SIL is starting out with foster care. What kind of stuff did you encounter that made you not want to go back?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)