Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Applied for another job...one I said I'd never do again.....

Posted by   + Show Post

but these are desperate times.

I applied to work as a foster care worker in my state.  I did this job when I lived in Florida in th 90's before I was married. It was okay but the system is so broken, I said I'd never work for that kind of job again. But there is nothing out there for someone with a Master's degree in Social work. If I get the job, maybe I can make a difference. Maybe I can be the one worker that people know is working on the kids' behalf.  I must get a job though because we can't make it on just my husband's income alone.  

I filled out the online application and hit submit.  But boy did they want to know stuff, I have no idea the answer to. Like what my salary was back then?? I have no clue. It wasn't a mandatory answer so I left it blank.  Hopefully since it wasn't starred as mandatory it will be fine.

In any case.......now I wait and see what happens.

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:16 PM
Replies (21-30):
javakitty2011
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

you might also consider a social service position in a long term care nursing home.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:10 PM

It sure is broken!

Thelmama
by Thelma on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I wish more people would care about our future which in our kids. Seems like those of us who do care, don't have the money or power to change things.  But I figure if I can make a difference for one kid, I have mattered to someone.

Quoting PurpleHazey:

It sure is broken!

sondamom0828
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe see if you can get a job with hospice?  They have social workers on their teams.

sondamom0828
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

oops, just saw this...maybe I should read replies before posting..sorry.

Quoting Thelmama:

I have, there are just no job openings right now. I looked at hospice, and several others. I am still looking. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Good luck with the job!

My sister just got her Master's in Social Work... she has a job as the head of fund development for a day home (catering to adults and elderly with disabilities). Have you thought about branching out into another area of SW?

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Good Luck

Legaltype
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Let's hope you don't live in TN. DCS/Foster care system here sucks.

mskitty6
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck Hun

Thelmama
by Thelma on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM

yep, I do live in TN......I used to work in Florida it wasn't great either.  Sigh...

Quoting Legaltype:

Let's hope you don't live in TN. DCS/Foster care system here sucks.

Lala629
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Best of luck to you.....I can only imagine how tough a job that would be to have....but I bet with your focus and determination to make a difference, you could very well be THE ONE to make the biggest difference. Have faith. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN