Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

The Circus

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:19 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

What do you think about the Circus?

I just got back from one and the animals looked tired and had sad eyes.  I don't think I'll be going to another circus again.

I did like the motorcycle riders in the cage. 

by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Was it a major circus like Ringling? When we went to a small traveling circus I felt like the animals were praying to be rescued, but at Ringling it seemed they had better conditions. I don't condone performing animals, but I like to watch the other acts. There is Always Cirque du Soleil....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I haven't been to one in years.  I always feel bad fot the animals though

kimsardo
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Quoting calsmom62:

Was it a major circus like Ringling? When we went to a small traveling circus I felt like the animals were praying to be rescued, but at Ringling it seemed they had better conditions. I don't condone performing animals, but I like to watch the other acts. There is Always Cirque du Soleil....

It was not a big one but big enough.

Another thing... It advertised as partnering with a Cancer Research hospital. I 'assumed'(my bad)  some of the admission or concession money was going to the hospital. After the intermission, after all the announcements of face painting and balloons and pic with the animals the announcer says we are collecting money and will match whatever we collect. So after people spent a grip of money and 60 seconds before the act starts a person comes around with a plastic donation thing. Tacky. I would have like them to announce that at the beginning of the show or at the beginning of the intermission. 

The whole thing was weird. We go to the zoo a lot and the circus animals were really very sad in there eyes and they looked week. It was the first show of the day.

I just feel bad over the whole thing.

Thelmama
by Thelma on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I went to one and the animals seemed well cared for and happy. One elephant did a misstep in her act and the lady just patted her and touched her gently and she made the correction. The workers didn't make fast movements and rewarded the animals with treats as well as pats and rubs. It may depend on the circus.  I saw a few animals rub their trainers with their heads like a cat rubs against someone it likes.

ColorMeCrazy
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I won't go due to the abuse the animals endure.

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Collecting money seems weird too.usually its a percentage of the gate. Call your local paper it online news like Patch.com, maybe you could stir up some interest in finding out mire about tho animals treatment. Or the money collection.
merryvoice
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM
They're horrific. I protest circuses because of how badly the animals are treated.
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Nov. 26, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I love the circus, we go when ever it comes to town

jabs54
by New Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:41 PM

They are extremely abusive to their animals...do some reasearch...

http://www.ringlingbeatsanimals.com/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/22/circus-elephant-abuse-disgusting

etc. etc. etc.

I for one want to teach my children how to be kind to animals.

jabs54
by New Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM

A better use of your money would be to support these people instead of circuses...

http://www.elephants.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN