Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

The doctor just assumed that......

Posted by   + Show Post

.....my children have multiple fathers.  I went in for an appt for depression and when she was asking me questions she asked if I was a single mother. I said yes.  She asked how many kids do I have and I said four. Then she asked if I get support from any of the fathers.  My mouth just dropped.  I have never had a doctor just assume that.  Usually they will ask about a father and if you want to offer up any more information then you as a patient will do that.

Also before that I had told the nurse don't mind my hair (I was embarrassed because I put this leave-in conditioner in my hair and it made my hair greasy) so I just mentioned that to the nurse so she didn't just think I didn't shower (I am very self conscious) and she said she didn't notice anything other than it being super shiny but "I don't ever put stuff like that in my hair because I'm educated".  I don't really know why she had to say that. 

I don't think there was ever a time when I was offended by something to trivial but this made me think.

EDIT: Yes they all have the same dad (the title is continued with the first sentence of the op) and I am still married.  I put on the paper work that I was separated

by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:12 AM
Replies (21-30):
iluvsn85
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:23 AM
7 moms liked this
Theres probaably a notation in your file about your children having different fathers. Why are you offended if its the truth? Also why in the hell would you put leave in conditoner in your hair before an appt esp if your self conscious? Find a new dr and move on or forgive and forget, either way take care of your depression.
Byrd15
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I am so so sorry... :( 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Quoting jamamama00:

Look at it this way: the doc probably thought that if she said, "Do you get any support from the father" and then you had to explain that they all had different dads, then that would make you feel even more bad about the situation? As for the nurse..I'm at a loss. Maybe she's one of those hippie idiots who thinks any type of shampoo/soap, etc is bad for you...those people generally tend to think that they are just so much smarter than everyone else...

but the thing is I wouldn't have to offer that info up if I didn't want to.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting iluvsn85:

Theres probaably a notation in your file about your children having different fathers. Why are you offended if its the truth? Also why in the hell would you put leave in conditoner in your hair before an appt esp if your self conscious? Find a new dr and move on or forgive and forget, either way take care of your depression.

none, it's a new doc and it's not true anyways.

and it was a new conditioner I was trying and I didn't know that it would leave my hair greasy.

MamaMay007
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:30 AM
2 moms liked this

Educated in what? Rude?

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:34 AM

wow thats crazy, time for a new doctor

Celtic_Dragon
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL. I'm educated and I use leave in conditioner. What an uneducated thing to say to you!

Maureen-MD
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:34 AM
6 moms liked this

when you say "single mother of 4" my 1st thought is that there are multiple fathers. Sorry, it just is and in this day and age that is not uncommon. 

I don't know what to make of the "hair comment"

Dinimon
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
That's funny, I'm an educated cosmetologist and I put leave in conditioner in my hair.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Thelma on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

What has being educated got to do with putting stuff in your hair?  I put conditioner in my hair because it is fine, very fine and  needs help. The doctor was off the wall too? People can be so weird doctor, nurse or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)