Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Gift Ideas for My Autistic Nephew?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am drawing a blank on what to get my nephew.  He is Autistic, only speaks by repeating.  He is 8 years old and he loves music and strings.  I was trying to find that 'ribbon dance thing'  I am not sure what it is called.  I want something that he will actually play with.  He doesn't play with much.  He is the only one that I have not got anything for yet and after him I am done Christmas shopping.

Any ideas??  Thank you.

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Replies (11-20):
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Quoting onecuteladybug2:

Legos are popular among most boys. If it's in your budget, maybe an iPod with some communication apps on it...

I wish an Ipod is in my budget. lol

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Quoting powertothekids:

perhaps you could get him a dream catcher

ooh that's a good idea

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Quoting hollinicole:

Its called a ribbion dancer and its hard to find, they are normal out in the spring and summer. Check Walgreens they have some toys that make music and ligh up. That's about all I can think of right now.

oh that sucks, I'll check walgreens though thanks

hollinicole
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Check this website out

http://www.youngexplorers.com/itemdy00.aspx?T1=Y121054&srccode=NXCYC6&utm_source=google&utm_medium=comparison&utm_campaign=datafeed&gclid=CNiV1NGd-LMCFQGvnQodZXsAdw
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomofBoys838
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I work with autistic children, and I think CD's are a great idea, and maybe his very own portable CD player.  Those aren't too pricey now, I don't think.  Another thought is that some children I have worked with will manipulate a soft item during the time they are 'stemming'.  Maybe a Nerf toy or a stress-relief ball, or a soft, rubbery toy that can be manipulated, as long as he won't chew it.  Hope this helps.

ladybugMarie

soulofsunmama
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:14 PM
There is a company online called HomeofPoi ( they are in New Zealand, but are a great company to do business with,and are super quick) where I've ordered some dance ribbons before, they also have awesome fabric flags, poi balls with l.e.d.lights,ect...

Quoting hayliedlr:

I am drawing a blank on what to get my nephew.  He is Autistic, only speaks by repeating.  He is 8 years old and he loves music and strings.  I was trying to find that 'ribbon dance thing'  I am not sure what it is called.  I want something that he will actually play with.  He doesn't play with much.  He is the only one that I have not got anything for yet and after him I am done Christmas shopping.

Any ideas??  Thank you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bigmama423
by Liz on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this. Things for stimming would be great.
My son is about to be 8, he's on the spectrum as well. He doesn't really play with toys. He is obsessed with angry birds, so that's all I plan on buying...I'd ask his parents if there's anything he might be into.

Quoting MomofBoys838:

I work with autistic children, and I think CD's are a great idea, and maybe his very own portable CD player.  Those aren't too pricey now, I don't think.  Another thought is that some children I have worked with will manipulate a soft item during the time they are 'stemming'.  Maybe a Nerf toy or a stress-relief ball, or a soft, rubbery toy that can be manipulated, as long as he won't chew it.  Hope this helps.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:22 AM

that is a great website.  I found some dance ribbon on there.  very cheap too

Quoting soulofsunmama:

There is a company online called HomeofPoi ( they are in New Zealand, but are a great company to do business with,and are super quick) where I've ordered some dance ribbons before, they also have awesome fabric flags, poi balls with l.e.d.lights,ect...

Quoting hayliedlr:

Any ideas??  Thank you.

soulofsunmama
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:36 AM
Isn't it just fantastic!:-)
I ordered a set of flags once, and 1was missing, along with extra hardware.
I sent them an email, from Texas, they just sent me replacements, no questions asked! I mean who does that anymore:-)
Glad you found the ribbons, I had a blast with them!
Quoting hayliedlr:

that is a great website.  I found some dance ribbon on there.  very cheap too

Quoting soulofsunmama:

Quoting hayliedlr:

Any ideas??  Thank you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cherylam
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 9:24 AM

my nephew is severely autistic, and 9.  he doesn't speak, hates to be touched and doesn't respond well to loud noises.  We got him a few sets of the giant legos, and we can't pry them away... his therapist said the tactile sensations of handing them has helped temendously.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN