Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Flying with 4 Mo old this week, any tips??

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:18 AM
  • 11 Replies

My little bug is 4 mo old.  my family lives 7 hours drive from me.  So it is not often that i see them.

Only 2 of my direct family members have came down so far to meet bug, my older sister and my mom.

This coming Thur I will be flying to go do my holiday dinner with them.  We decided to do it earlier because this is the best cost on a flight I could get, and didnt want to fly with a baby closer to the holiday.

To prepair i got me a ergo baby carrier, so it will be easier in the air port on me.  I will also be bringing my car seat, and i figure if i feed bug when the plane boards that  maybe she will fall asleep and there will be no issues.  the flight is only a hour long.

Any one have any tips for me

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by Representative on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:27 AM
Good call on installing the car seat - so much safer that way... Have a great trip!
Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM

You will have to take the Ergo off at the security check point.  Do you have an infant carrier car seat?  You can put her in that while you are checked out.  Every time I have flown with wee ones, the flight attendant would let me stash my stroller in the cockpit at no charge and it didn't count as a carry on.  You might want to call and check if that is possible.

I have to say, I have looked ridiculous running through the airport before.  I had the baby in his stroller, the car seat wedged in the storage basket underneath the stroller, and we are talking about a Britax, so not a tiny seat.  I had my Moby, pre-wrapped on me, my diaper bag slung across my chest and still managed to pull my two suitcases behind.  It's an adventure for sure!  Never be afraid to ask for help from the flight attendants, usually they offer it if they see you struggling though.

Mandi812
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Oh well I can check a car seat with SouthWest and it is free.  SO my carseat and 2 bags will be checked.  bug will be a lap baby.  I have no issue with having to take off the ergo.  as long as some one on the other side of the check point is willing to help me rebuckle it, though last time i was flying (When I came home with baby girl at 2 weeks old, a couple behind us was carrying with a ergo, and they didnt have to take it off.  I guess it just depends on who inspects you.

I have a diaper bag from ergo that buckles to the ergo carrier, so that will give me hands free, and the only thing I have to carry with my hands is my purse and ticket.  I am trying to do with with as less fuss and have not alot of delay.  going through ATL airport is crazy enough, that doing it with baby and solo, just doesnt seams fun.

as for stroller ect... well i dont need to drag all that.  my sister has 3 kids, and i am gonna use hers while there.

madmueller
by New Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Flying, you can hold your little one in your lap the entire flight. Check with the airline too about it.  But check the other carriers, dont need all that with you trying to get on the plane.  

One tip, if they allow you to hold the baby on the plane - suggest you breast feed (or if you bottle feed have that ready) because the minute the plane takes off and the pressure on the ears may not be something your baby enjoys AT ALL! By breast feeding that keeps her ears from popping.  Or if you have a pacifier bring that too.  It's not hard at all to fly on the plane, you just have a couple of little obstacles you have to find out about ahead of the flight.

Marz31
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Most airlines won't allow you to have baby strapped to you for take off and landing, but the rest of the trip, you can have bug in the carrier, if you like. I'd be sure to bring things like pacifiers and other things bug might be inclined to suck on. feeding DURING take off and landing can mean the difference between baby crying and baby being calm and not having their ears hurt. Shouldn't be too bad for an hour, hopefully you'll sit by someone who doesn't think children should be banned from air travel...those people should be put in a room with babies crawling all over the place and left to figure out they started out that way too! And regardless of the length of the flight, take plenty of diapers, and at least a change of clothes for EACH of you! you never know what might happen mid-flight! a friend also made up little packets for the travelers around her with earplugs, a piece of candy and a handi-wipe, I think it was. and outside was a note about how it was her son's first airplane ride and he hoped he didn't cry too much, he was a little scared. I think things went very smoothly (they usually do) but it was still a sweet sentiment!

bigmama423
by Liz on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM
No tips..I've never flown with kiddos.
Have a great time with family! Hope you have an easy flight and airport adventure. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
knoxmomof2
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Only things I can think of are: make sure the diaper bag is WELL packed with everything you might need to keep her quiet and clean and wear slip-on shoes for security. Good luck!

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Expect the unexpected...just in case.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mandi812
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:41 AM

Thank you ladies, I think i have everything i need.  my ergo carrier, Slip on sandles, pre measured/packaged single serve formula, binkie, ect.....She is not a fussy baby at all.  so hopefully she will be her normal self.  I will let you know tomorrow.

mskeeinmd
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:03 AM

keep the baby close on the plane and give them a bottle or pacifier prior to take off to help with the pressure in the baby's ears.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)