Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

what to do?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:35 AM
  • 13 Replies

Okay so, me and SO got into a fight last night...

Our toddler has just started this phase of temper tantrums and not listening, etc. So, needless to say, Ive been a little stressed. Well, I recently had some serious dental work done and haven't been keeping up with the house (ive been on my butt most of the time) Ive been keeping her room, living room, and kitchen clean.. however the upstairs bathroom, hallway, laundry, our bedroom has suffered..

hes been complaining about the house not being emaculate and so I wanted to figure out a way to get the house clean while keeping my toddler busy and out of trouble? Usually its no problem because everything is well kept and only takes a few minutes to run through and straighten up but because its been neglected its going to take some time. Its driving me nuts and I feel like I can't get anything done when DD is around.. (especially cleaning the bathroom) she takes ONE nap for maybe an hour and a half around 3pm... I'd like to get started on this soon when she gets up, just had my coffee, a shower and breakfast. what can I do?

- a stressed out momma :(

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KatieKramer94
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM

now remember - USUALLY everything is well kept and its easier to get things done when DD is awake. But things are so out of order upstairs I feel overwhelmed and stuck!

Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I usually would just let my boys play in their room, or color while I had to clean.  With frequent check ins of course!  Is there anything that she is old enough to help you do?  Like gather up laundry and put it in the basket?  Maybe you can pull out some pots and pans and let her go to town, it's noisy but usually the allure of a new and generally forbidden toy keeps their attention for a while.  Good luck and I hope that your mouth is feeling better.

Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, and when all else fails, Yo Gabba Gabba.

KatieKramer94
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM

unfortunately.. she does the opposite, she likes to take clothes OUT of baskets LOL.

Nah, I might take the baby gate upstairs after breakfast and let her go to town playing in her room. She will most likely be at the gate peeking at mommy and seeing what I'm doing.

and thank you, it is a little better today which is why I'm trying to get this done today :)

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

I usually would just let my boys play in their room, or color while I had to clean.  With frequent check ins of course!  Is there anything that she is old enough to help you do?  Like gather up laundry and put it in the basket?  Maybe you can pull out some pots and pans and let her go to town, it's noisy but usually the allure of a new and generally forbidden toy keeps their attention for a while.  Good luck and I hope that your mouth is feeling better.

givenshl
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I hope you feel better soon. How hold is your Daughter? Sometimes it makes them feel like big girls when they can help Mommy out. Maybe give her a little chore like putting her clothes in a basket to do laundry with you or helping straighting up with you.

madmueller
by New Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I by no means am a "cleaner" - actually don't like it at all!

But - I'd do the cleaning during the nap time - get it done faster - no watching or keeping the child entertained while cleaning. The loud noise things can wait till she gets up.

The other thing I do is, set the timer in the kitchen for 30 min. and I do each room for 30 min. when the timer goes off - done!  Walk away and know I did it.  

KatieKramer94
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM

the timer is a great idea!

Quoting madmueller:

I by no means am a "cleaner" - actually don't like it at all!

But - I'd do the cleaning during the nap time - get it done faster - no watching or keeping the child entertained while cleaning. The loud noise things can wait till she gets up.

The other thing I do is, set the timer in the kitchen for 30 min. and I do each room for 30 min. when the timer goes off - done!  Walk away and know I did it.  

KatieKramer94
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM

shes 14 months, shes just a wee toddler!

Quoting givenshl:

I hope you feel better soon. How hold is your Daughter? Sometimes it makes them feel like big girls when they can help Mommy out. Maybe give her a little chore like putting her clothes in a basket to do laundry with you or helping straighting up with you.

givenshl
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:26 AM

O, ok. Is it possible Hubby can help out just till you feel a little better? If not just make you a schedule and try and stick to it.

Quoting KatieKramer94:

shes 14 months, shes just a wee toddler!

Quoting givenshl:

RubyQ
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

UMMMMM....hellooooooo! yes! I have the perfect stress free way. 

Write a list of all the things that need to be done.

Give it to your husband for something to do during his time off--which YOU DON'T GET, remember?

Tell him you did all the chores that could be done while having TWO TODDLERS/ kids attached to your arms and hips 24 hours a day, and you only gave him the ones you couldn't get to. which is pretty much all of them. 

If he wants the house immaculate--which by the way, that word is associated with miracles--then let him get it 'immaculate'. Livable is more than enough of a job description for a mother at this stage of her children's lives.

Geeezzzzus, what does he want to remember when they're grown and gone--how clean the house was while they were growing up or how alive and lived in they made the now empty house feel like, now that he's rattling around in it with echoing footsteps at 50 years old?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN