Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Okay Ladies, I need some advice

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM
  • 14 Replies

How do you tell someone that you don't want the birthday present they gave you?

Here's the story. Today is my birthday. All year long I've been asking for a certain game for my computer for my birthday present. Also, just to fill everyone in on another aspect of this story - my husband and my son both have tablets. I've tried using their tablets and my fingers just do not want to get the tablet to do what I want it to do. I told both of them that I didn't like tablets and didn't want one for myself. Well, guess what I got for my birthday from hubby - a tablet. On top of that, the thing doesn't work right. I brought it to work with me so the IT lady could look at it and see if it was just something that I was doing wrong and she couldn't get it to work right either. So my question is, without hurting my hubby's feelings, how do I tell him I'd rather have something other than the tablet? The tablet is going to have to go back anyway since it doesn't work right, but I know hubby did it because he thought I'd love it since he and my son love theirs so much (even though I've said numerous times that I didn't want one). Help!

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
madcat500
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM

tell him out right that you do not like it and that he would know that if he would hear you

offrdngal
by Terri on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I'd tell him that it was nice that he got you a gift, but it would have been nice if he'd actually listened to you and hadn't bought something that you didn't want.  Tell him that since it doesn't work right, you need the receipt so you can return it and get something of your choice.

stillkim
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Be gracious and accept the gift, he gave it to you because he thought you'd love it (even though you said you didn't want it).  Buy yourself the game.

Kodysmommy928
by Jennifer on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Accept the gift.  Christmas is coming, ask for the game then.

Marz31
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you need to return it for being defective anyway, so at that point, maybe you could say that you'd prefer the game. My husband always thinks he knows what I want better than I do, even when I give absolute specifics.....so annoying!

Legaltype
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM

It sounds like you know exactly where I'm coming from.

Quoting Marz31:

Sounds like you need to return it for being defective anyway, so at that point, maybe you could say that you'd prefer the game. My husband always thinks he knows what I want better than I do, even when I give absolute specifics.....so annoying!

peacemom28
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I agree with this. On a side note- I would LOVE a tablet! I dont even have a phone that gets on the internet.

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

Kris_PBG
by Representative on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Maybe say it is a dud so it has to go back - but guess what I found on the internet for the same price?  :)

Legaltype
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, I called hubby and told him that since we had to send it back anyway, maybe we could get something I could get more use out of? At first he seemed a little mad, but he was okay with it. He said he thinks that if the tablet had worked correctly, I probably would have changed my mind about tablets. I said yeah, maybe. So all is good. And my son ended up changing his present that he was going to give me and gave me the money to purchase my game online. But the best part of the day was watching them cook dinner. That was hilarious! lol

Legaltype
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Then you wouldn't have liked this tablet. Everything worked on it BUT connecting to the Internet (lol).

Quoting peacemom28:

I agree with this. On a side note- I would LOVE a tablet! I dont even have a phone that gets on the internet.

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)