Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge
So we met up with ds1's best friend on Sunday.

We met at the library with him and his mom ( who is a good friend of mine), then went to lunch together , then a playground.

He chose to ride with us in my minivan for one ride in between locations. Ds1 rides in a booster, his friend rides in nothing. There is no booster law in my state. Stupidly, kids can ride in a seat with no booster or car seat at age 4. (ETA: the boys involved here are 8, I mention age 4 to give a sense of the car seat " culture - or lack there of- in my state)

Anyway, what he does in his moms car is their business. I offered him the option to sit in our extra lbb. He said no. He is a larger child than ds2, but I was horrified when I turned and saw how unsafe he was due to how the belt hit him.

I was already driving when I saw and I kicked myself for not checking him before we left.

I nicely told him "the seatbelt might fit you fine in your mom's car, but it does not in mine. I want to make sure you are safe, so if you want to drive with us to the park after lunch, you will need to use a booster".

I do not believe that he is safe in his moms car with no booster, but that is her call when he is on her watch.

I am not going to knowingly drive a child in an unsafe manner in my car.

So annoyed at myself that I did not check first!

How do you handle similar situations?

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Replies (21-24):
stillkim
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting stillkim:

I would not drive another child in my car. Things happen, like forgetting to check a belt. That could have been a problem. My children ride with me. Other parents are in charge of their children. That's how I handle it.

Now that ds1 is older there are some friends I carpool with as having 2 kids in sports at once gets complicated.

I have not had the need before this year, but we are spread thin at times, so we "get by with a little help from our friends!" :)

I understand that.

witchybabymomma
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I would do the same. I think as adults and more important the owner and driver of the car it is our responsibility to make sure the kids are safe.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I would have any passengers Kaden's age in a booster.  My girls are all over the age and height of needing one, so any of their friends wouldn't need one either.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have done the same thing you did.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN