Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Not only old people are HANDICAPPED!!

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:48 AM
  • 32 Replies
2 moms liked this

I'm 22 years old, 23 next month.  I was born with Spinabifida Diastematomyelia, which means that my spine was split in two and with club foot, which is a rotation of the foot.  Luckily everything was discovered when I was younger and I was able to get the best medical attention possible at UCSF Children's Hospital.  I had one spinal surgery and I've had four foot surgeries, the last one two years ago.  I feel very lucky every day of my life that I was able to get help and that everyone did the best they could for me.  You can't even tell I have anything wrong with me, unless I show you.  However, no one but me knows the pain that I experience almost on a daily basis.  Both my back and my foot are very sensitive and it sucks! 

To my next point!  I do have a handicap card and am able to use handicap parking spaces.  I try not to use them unless I'm in really bad pain or if my foot is sprained, which happens a lot.  Anyway, people really seem to hate me because I don't look handicapped!  I'm tired of feeling like I have to prove my disability to everyone!  The other day this older lady literally starting yelling at me telling me I don't look handicapped!  And trust me it was not a compliment!  Then today at school the parking services officer proceeded to tell me how she is tired of young ladies using their grandparents cars to take advantage of the parking and she demanded to see my paperwork.  So I handed it to her and she just looked me up and down expecting me to show her my scars or something...WTF lady I know you're doing your job, but don't be so freaking rude!  These are only two examples of the many that I have, not to mention the dirty looks that I always get.

TRUST ME I WOULD MUCH RATHER NOT HAVE A DISABILITY THAN THIS FREAKING HANDICAPP CARD!!!

banging head into wall

**Thanks everyone for your support and for understanding me!  :)

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:02 AM

I hear you!

RubyQ
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:07 AM
2 moms liked this

Thanks for reminding us! A very good service post! 

Your post shows how we often rely too much on stereotypes to arrive at conclusions

No you shouldn't have to explain yourself to everyone. But, unfortunately, people are not going to stop being so shortsighted, another debilitating disease, although people are in no hurry to find a cure for it. Good thing they don't hand out placards for THAT--you'd have way too much competition for handicapped parking spaces!

That said, "when life hands you lemons", squeeze them in their eyes! No---Just kidding! I saw that on another post and still crack up over it, haahahaaa....

Anyway, you have been handed a unique opportunity to help other handicapped people, the ones I mentioned before, with the affliction of shortsightedness.With a sweet smile, you can patiently let them rattle on, only too eager to show you their disability. Then, with a sweet smile, you can gently say, 

--Yes, wouldn't I be SO LUCKY if my disability forced me to be in a wheelchair so I could be reassuring to everyone ELSE!

--I understand your concern, however, most 'disabilites' people have are ones not everyone can immediately see. (Wink, wink)

--Oh! Finally someone who cares. Let me tell you aaaaalllll about my spina bifida and clubfoot! It all started when....." (careful with the older folks, though--they enjoy discussing medical issues, haahaha...)

--I'm so grateful my disease hasn't affected my ability to relate to people. You have my sympathies concerning yours.

RubyQ
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:09 AM

PS--What a beautiful picture of you!

offrdngal
by Terri on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I have mild/moderate allergen induce asthma and I am eligible to get a handicap placard...but I choose not.  My mother has brachycardia (heart issue) and is eligible for a handicap placard.

Just because someone doesn't "look handicapped" that doesn't mean there isn't an underlying issue that no one can see.  People need to stop being so judgemental and mind their own business.

sjump25
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Oh I like this!  I have probably been guilty of assuming someone was using someone elses disabilty card though I would NEVER call someone out on it.  Thank you for posting this.  I will be more aware from now on that you don't have to LOOK handicap to actually have a handicap.  I'm sorry people make you feel bad.

Quoting RubyQ:

Your post shows how we often rely too much on stereotypes to arrive at conclusions

No you shouldn't have to explain yourself to everyone. But, unfortunately, people are not going to stop being so shortsighted, another debilitating disease, although people are in no hurry to find a cure for it. Good thing they don't hand out placards for THAT--you'd have way too much competition for handicapped parking spaces!

That said, "when life hands you lemons", squeeze them in their eyes! No---Just kidding! I saw that on another post and still crack up over it, haahahaaa....

Anyway, you have been handed a unique opportunity to help other handicapped people, the ones I mentioned before, with the affliction of shortsightedness.With a sweet smile, you can patiently let them rattle on, only too eager to show you their disability. Then, with a sweet smile, you can gently say, 

--Yes, wouldn't I be SO LUCKY if my disability forced me to be in a wheelchair so I could be reassuring to everyone ELSE!

--I understand your concern, however, most 'disabilites' people have are ones not everyone can immediately see. (Wink, wink)

--Oh! Finally someone who cares. Let me tell you aaaaalllll about my spina bifida and clubfoot! It all started when....." (careful with the older folks, though--they enjoy discussing medical issues, haahaha...)

--I'm so grateful my disease hasn't affected my ability to relate to people. You have my sympathies concerning yours.

Texascandee
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I know there are people that do abuse it and until I got in the position I'm in, I had the same thoughts as everyone else.  While I don't have a placard, I do sympathize with those that do.  There have been a few people that have admitted they use it to run in the store to pick up an item or two. 

I don't think you should have to explain anything to anyone............best of luck to you

Susie19
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:15 PM

thank you

Quoting PurpleHazey:

I hear you!

Susie19
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Love it thank you so much for the ideas!!  :)  And this "when life hands you lemons", squeeze them in their eyes!" cracked me up too!

laughing 

Quoting RubyQ:

Thelmama
by Thelma on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Great post. Some disabilities are not visible and they come in all shapes, sizes and ages.

Susie19
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I agree completely.. people need to stop being so judgemental.  My disability is what helped me to learn to never judge a book by it's cover...:)

Quoting offrdngal:

I have mild/moderate allergen induce asthma and I am eligible to get a handicap placard...but I choose not.  My mother has brachycardia (heart issue) and is eligible for a handicap placard.

Just because someone doesn't "look handicapped" that doesn't mean there isn't an underlying issue that no one can see.  People need to stop being so judgemental and mind their own business.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN